GM Volt Forum banner

2011 My Actual Cost for Gen 1 HV Battery Replacement

18810 103
I thought I would share this. I had the HV/Traction battery replaced on my Gen 1 Volt (no 00935, bought new in 2011). The dealer charged me $10,283 + tax.

Parts $ 9,092 and Labor $1,190. See invoice.

Whether this typical or not, who knows. Anyway, it's done now and I assume I'm good for another 10 years.

Font Material property Paper Monochrome Document
Reactions: noFüLN and Off Oil
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

· Premium Member
2012 Volt Premium (Cyber Gray Metallic) - Stock
729 Posts
Just had mine done and should be picking up my 2012 from the dealer tomorrow. Did you go with the new or remanufactured HV battery? I got several quotes and yours seems to be in line with what I’m seeing here in Central IL ($9,500-12,500 depending on new vs remanufactured cells).

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just had mine done and should be picking up my 2012 from the dealer tomorrow. Did you go with the new or remanufactured HV battery? I got several quotes and yours seems to be in line with what I’m seeing here in Central IL ($9,500-12,500 depending on new vs remanufactured cells).
I wish I could say I looked at various options and asked a lot of questions, but I simply went with what the dealer said. Perhaps the product code for the battery identifies what it is. I was told it had the newer "chemistry" and would deliver a few more miles.

· Registered
114 Posts
I don't know... I'm not going to say what's right or wrong with the prices for this as it sits, but... I will say that without doubt, that unless the market can get a price like this at least cut in half, then one can just wrap it up if anyone thinks BEVs are ever going to make serious inroads into some market dominating position vs. ICE vehicles. It's simply not tenable and absolutely pointless for many who are more financially challenged. I'd actually think that a propulsion battery should be more in the neighborhood of around 4k give or take and even that's somewhat high/problematic for many. Sure...the money bags that that can afford to trade out of a BEV before financial Armageddon arrives in the form of a battery replacement will be just fine (other than the sure hit to value that these exorbitant prices will surely bring to used values), but those who are looking buy used or just can't afford getting out before the point will almost certainly be extremely hesitant to proceed with such a purchase with these prices, and rightly so, I'd add. Heck, even for me, it gives me pause seeing as I bought a Gen 1 with around 58k miles on it for my son's first vehicle. I mean, I worry now about him heading off in that car and then...wham! Here's a bill for what's likely to be anywhere from 25-35% of your yearly salary to keep the vehicle going. Sorry, but that's a lot to swallow... Sorry you had to pay that to keep your vehicle going.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know... I'm not going to say what's right or wrong with the prices for this as it sits, but... I will say that without doubt, that unless the market can get a price like this at least cut in half, then one can just wrap it up if anyone thinks BEVs are ever going to make serious inroads into some market dominating position vs. ICE vehicles. It's simply not tenable and absolutely pointless for many who are more financially challenged. I'd actually think that a propulsion battery should be more in the neighborhood of around 4k give or take and even that's somewhat high/problematic for many. Sure...the money bags that that can afford to trade out of a BEV before financial Armageddon arrives in the form of a battery replacement will be just fine (other than the sure hit to value that these exorbitant prices will surely bring to used values), but those who are looking buy used or just can't afford getting out before the point will almost certainly be extremely hesitant to proceed with such a purchase with these prices, and rightly so, I'd add. Heck, even for me, it gives me pause seeing as I bought a Gen 1 with around 58k miles on it for my son's first vehicle. I mean, I worry now about him heading off in that car and then...wham! Here's a bill for what's likely to be anywhere from 25-35% of your yearly salary to keep the vehicle going. Sorry, but that's a lot to swallow... Sorry you had to pay that to keep your vehicle going.

I agree with your sentiments. We knew when we bought a Volt that the battery would have to be replaced after 10 years or so. But we assumed (in 2011) that the increasing popularity of EV cars would bring prices down by 2021. That clearly has not hapenned. I said to the dealer exactly what you said: at these battery replacement prices it makes no sense to buy an EV car. The politicians promoting this as a climate solution are in cloud cuckoo land.

· Read Only
733 Posts
I agree with your sentiments. We knew when we bought a Volt that the battery would have to be replaced after 10 years or so. But we assumed (in 2011) that the increasing popularity of EV cars would bring prices down by 2021. That clearly has not hapenned. I said to the dealer exactly what you said: at these battery replacement prices it makes no sense to buy an EV car. The politicians promoting this as a climate solution are in cloud cuckoo land.
I'd suggest politicians be replaced with something like "the green movement". Those promoting green energy need to start realizing people aren't anti-green but rather they're being pragmatic. It's my opinion people aren't anti-green for the sake of being anti-green but rather they understand being green has limitations which they're unable or unwilling to tolerate.

· Premium Member
729 Posts
I too, think the HV battery could have been cheaper; however, don’t think there was much wiggle room left with the dealers I called. I was hoping to have a reliable, economical car for my long (100+ mile per day) commute, but this has left me wondering if BEV’s will be short lived like most consumer electronics nowadays.

· Registered
24 Posts
My Volt is currently sitting in the garage unable to take a charge or start the engine - dead. So at 9 1/2 years and 85,000 miles is that it? Works out to be about $345 a month for the car to date. Not great but not horrible - works out to about 41 cents a mile. If I need a new battery pack I could use the Greentec Auto alternative with a 3-year warranty and pack price of $6,500 plus a grand? for installation. That would lower the monthly cost to about $317 (allowing for an oil change and new tires) or 38 cents a mile.

With a new battery do you get a 8-year / 100,000 mile warranty? If that's the case then you're looking at about $100 a month for the battery. If the car holds up another 10 years the cost of ownership drops nicely.
Chevy Volt | Greentec Auto

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I didn’t ask about any warranty on the new battery. I got no paperwork suggesting there is one. I’m just assuming it will last 10 years as the original did. I only have 27,700 miles on the car, so in every other way, it should last quite a while.

· Premium Member
729 Posts
With the GM remanufactured battery you get a 3 year/100,000 mile warranty. I drive about 36,500 miles a year just for my commute, so it made sense for me. Currently dealing with a gas car that’s teetering on the edge of oblivion so the $9,000+ to fix the Volt made more sense vs. repairing my gasoline powered car.

I too didn’t expect this so it did come as a surprise to me.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’m sure the numbers for many people make an ICE car the more sensible choice. We power our Volt thru solar panels, so it’s a pretty green solution. And we had the disposible income to make the green choice. We did think about spending $10k for a used Subaru Outback as a better financial choice. But we do love our Volt.

· Registered
24 Posts
What is surprising to me is that this can be so sudden. I thought the battery would degrade over time until I was only getting a couple of miles charge and then I could decide to either run it on gas full-time or opt for a battery replacement. Not the case as it won't run the engine if the battery won't take a charge.

The car was working great until it bricked. We noticed some range degradation but it's been cold here and I just figured the car was using more juice to keep us warm. Driving at 70mph on electric and then two blocks before our house the car says "Propulsion reduced", into the garage and it will not charge or start. I'm hoping it may still be something else, but it sounds like the battery won't allow charging anymore. Very weird.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Our experience (as described in another thread I started) was the car no longer charging, but running fine on the ICE for almost a year. I hoped we could go forever that way. But then recently got the reduced propulsion message, and knew our days were numbered. Still, it worked on the ICE right up to the dealer for repair.

· Registered
287 Posts
Wow, that's shockingly high, especially given the relatively modest capacity battery in the Volt. I wonder whether a higher capacity battery (say, in a Bolt) costs proportionately more.

How did you think about the depreciated value of the car when deciding to invest this much in it?

Interesting that time, more than miles (of which you have remarkably few), is what did your original battery in.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
PS. FWIW the tech at the dealer said (and this may be BS) that it’s the software that shuts down the car. That when the battery is compromised somehow, charging the battery with the ICE might cause overheating and fire. So, in our case, I expect some of the modules failed, but it could still be run. For a while, at least. But if even a bit of charging by the ICE is judged a risk by the software, then you’re left with a bricked vehicle.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.