GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately, my 2011 Volt has been running the ICE semi-frequently, even with ambient temperatures in the high 50's.

I bought the car new in June of 2011, and it has 118K on the odometer. For the past year and a half, my wife has been the primary driver, but before that, I was the main user of the car. I am sure that in the past, the car didn't use as much gas as it is now using. I don't get any messages indicating fuel maintenance or ERDTT (yes, I have looked for them), so I am puzzled by this behavior.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what is going on?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Michael

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Is the engine running ALL the time? Is it possible you haven’t put any new gas into the tank in a long time?

If the "average age" of the gas in the tank is 12 months old, then you could be experiencing a Fuel Maintenance Mode (FMM), and you won’t be able to use any battery charge until the FMM is ended.

If it’s an FMM, you should be able to confirm it by viewing the center console screen (not the DIC behind the wheel) each time you start the car. When you start the car, a brief message should appear there to remind you the FMM is running.

·
Administrator
20,591 Posts
Assuming the battery is not empty, then the most likely causes would be ERDTT, EMM, or FMM.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply.

The engine is not running all the time; it alternates between ICE and battery several times during my 29 mile commute. I'm not sure just how old the gas is, but I doubt it's more than a couple of months old. I haven't noticed the FMM message, but I'll check again.

Another thought - I'm pretty sure the car still has its original 12V battery - is it likely that this could be contributing to the issue? I ask because I have a 1998 S10EV, and it is known that an aging 12V battery can cause various "unexplainable" symptoms.

·
Administrator
20,591 Posts
Another thought - I'm pretty sure the car still has its original 12V battery - is it likely that this could be contributing to the issue? I ask because I have a 1998 S10EV, and it is known that an aging 12V battery can cause various "unexplainable" symptoms.
A flaky 12V seems to cause screen display gremlins, while you have one very specific intermittent issue. I wonder if the ambient air temp sensor could be bad? Does the outside air temp reading fluctuate?

If not, I wonder if you may need to take it to a dealer. or do a self diagnosis with an OBD2 device to read any error codes that may be there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A flaky 12V seems to cause screen display gremlins, while you have one very specific intermittent issue. I wonder if the ambient air temp sensor could be bad? Does the outside air temp reading fluctuate?

If not, I wonder if you may need to take it to a dealer. or do a self diagnosis with an OBD2 device to read any error codes that may be there.

I haven't noticed the temp reading, but I'll keep an eye on that.

Thanks again for the input.

Michael

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi Michael,

Your symptoms match those I had with a 2011 Volt I had last year and now belongs to my daughter. I recommend buying a VCX Nano and using it to check battery cell group voltages at full charge at the time when the charge finishes and at the point when you run out of battery range. If you check all 96 cellgroups at the top and the bottom of charge you might see the culprit, a bad cell group. This group’s cell voltage will diverge from all other cell groups. If you are not interested in buying a VCX Nano send me a private message and maybe we can arrange for me to send you my dedicated laptop with the program loaded. I’m curious whether you have exactly the same thing going on.

Jim

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the same issue today. 2012 with 144k miles. My car is in a garage, but not heated or insulated, so it was about 30 degrees in there. I accidentally did not charge the car last night, but no worry, I still had plenty of charge for my needs (17 miles). I got to work which is about a mile away. When I came out for lunch the battery gauge was behind and the gas gauge prominent. It was very cold (below 20 degrees) but I have been using a resistor pack to always show 28 degrees so as to not get ERDDT. Hasn't been an issue for 4 years no matter how cold. Engine started to run after driving. I used the "MyVoltHold" app to turn off the engine. The car drive normal on battery with the exception of the gas gauge being displayed. Came home at the end of the day, gave it a full charge, but the problem persists. I might disconnect the 12v battery tomorrow to "reboot" if it is still a problem. But I'm at a total loss as to what is going on. No warnings or MIL.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My problem self corrected. Second morning in a row that it was normal. A computer glitch I guess. I'll post back if it returns.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think i'm going to need more data to figure out what is going on. How does the VCX nano compare to the GM MDI? I would like to monitor the line of code that is generating the engine run event. I would also like to change the battery temp setting from 50f to 60f.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Lately, my 2011 Volt has been running the ICE semi-frequently, even with ambient temperatures in the high 50's.

I bought the car new in June of 2011, and it has 118K on the odometer. For the past year and a half, my wife has been the primary driver, but before that, I was the main user of the car. I am sure that in the past, the car didn't use as much gas as it is now using. I don't get any messages indicating fuel maintenance or ERDTT (yes, I have looked for them), so I am puzzled by this behavior.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what is going on?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Michael
Mine also seems to use much more gas when it switches over by it's self with 90& of battery available?
Full battery charge is only 26 or 27 miles at full charge.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Mine also seems to use much more gas when it switches over by it's self with 90& of battery available?
Full battery charge is only 26 or 27 miles at full charge.
Just warming the engine to the point of being about to start-stop hybriding takes about 0.1 gallons of fuel that's otherwise not productive in other than a 2011/early 2012 car. (Those early models get charging/propulsion benefit.) It takes about 50 miles to lose that in the noise of varied driving.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I noted this same issue last winter before the cell balancing update. This winter, after the cell balancing update, it has happened too. I have a 2011 with 80K miles. If I leave the car unplugged in the cold (above ERDTT) with about half the battery, the next time I drive the car it will use ICE at some point. Sometimes the car starts up showing the gas gauge even. This concern has popped up a lot lately on here and other groups. No one knows exactly what triggers it that I know of. I talked to an independent hybrid shop and their best guess, since no errors/messages are popping up, it's just the fact that the battery is older and it's starting to show it's age. The ICE needs to assist the battery more as it gets weaker. I tend to agree. Unless there's something in the programming that calls for ICE to warm up the battery?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I noted this same issue last winter before the cell balancing update. This winter, after the cell balancing update, it has happened too. I have a 2011 with 80K miles. If I leave the car unplugged in the cold (above ERDTT) with about half the battery, the next time I drive the car it will use ICE at some point. Sometimes the car starts up showing the gas gauge even. This concern has popped up a lot lately on here and other groups. No one knows exactly what triggers it that I know of. I talked to an independent hybrid shop and their best guess, since no errors/messages are popping up, it's just the fact that the battery is older and it's starting to show it's age. The ICE needs to assist the battery more as it gets weaker. I tend to agree. Unless there's something in the programming that calls for ICE to warm up the battery?
I replaced the standard 12 volt battery located in the trunk of the care because it show it was charging at just over 50%. I also think it is using ICE to warmup the traction batteries like they run a fan in summer to cool.
I have 130k on care and is a 2012. I have heard back and forth that the main batteries are guaranteed for life others say only to 100k miles?
I never had any trouble until I left my home went two blocks then turned up a very steep hill, it went from battery to gas and has been jumping back and forth every since. Temp was about 35F.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts