GM Volt Forum banner

2011 eventual main battery replacement

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  caronjeff 
#1 ·
My 2011 with 166,000 on the odometer, almost flawless in many ways, is now occasionally exhibiting a quirk which there’s some discussion on here about. Yes the range has dropped some, it’s a 9 years old car. The battery charge level seems to indicate full even though you can see the top bar on the charge level display still black. It will typically show 22 miles range At full. if I unplug then plug back in, it will take more charge. Also, occasionally I leave home with that full 22 miles, get 2 miles up the road and she switches over to CS, the engine fires and runs semi hard a few miles, then switch off and return to battery. It’s had a check engine light on for the last 6 months. Im assuming the deteriorating main battery integrity is causing this. I don’t have any self diagnostic tools either.
What are options here? I have a trusted Chevy dealer close by. How much for a new battery installed? Is there a rebuilt/remanufactured battery available? Any other fix? This car owes me nothing, I have never spent less money on any car I’ve owned. It drives perfect, handles perfect, the engine purrs. It recently performed well on a 2000 mile road trip. Should I treat her to a new main battery?

#2 ·
To state the obvious, you should get the code read to find out what is causing the check engine light. I personally wouldn't be driving it that way for 6 months not knowing. Your dealer can let you know what's going on.

The only 3rd party I'm aware of that's performing Gen1 battery replacements, however their not in Michigan.

A battery replacement is likely going to be cost prohibitive, and I would personally put that money into a new car instead.

#5 ·
Well the link off oil supplied in his comment is offering the refurbish battery for $4,500 of course I would get my local Chevy dealer to install. Probably $2,000 ish.
We have another 2013 Volt in the family with 100,000 miles. Daughters car, it too is nearly flawless so the experience on the 2011 will be valuable.

#6 ·
They do have locations in Cleveland and Chicago (Greentec auto)....I commute regularly between DFW and Michigan, and am currently have my 2012 main battery replaced at the Dallas branch. 4500 for re-manufactured battery, + 500 to install. GM wanted 8K, also for re-manufactured battery.

#7 ·
Well it’s great to know that a solution is available. And the $500 labor sounds very reasonable. I can’t really justify throwing this car away over a $6,000 expense. Everything else is perfect, it’s as quiet and roadworthy as ever. We commute a couple times every year between Michigan and North Carolina and I’m a left lane driver. The Volt is a great highway cruiser. 34-37 mpg on gas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.