GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Car threw P1FFE and P1FFF the other day and said Service High Voltage Charging System. It wouldn't let me charge so I cleared them codes using my Wifi OBD deal, but it threw them again the next day. Forum indicated possibly low battery coolant and possibly a bad coolant sensor.

Called and took the car to Appleway/AutoNation Chevrolet which is the closest Volt dealer. At first when I called they were as indifferent as I've come to expect from the big dealers, but once they were aware that I had a Volt they gave me a different service contact and were extremely (almost oddly) nice and attentive. When I dropped the car off I got the guy at the front and he was giving me some flack about a loaner, but then the lady I talked to on the phone ran over and apologized for not being able to greet me immediately and then walked me through the process.

They asked to keep it for the weekend to do pressure testing since it was Friday, and I got a '13 Malibu LTZ which only netted 24.9mpg in 400 miles, but it was nice. Volt Advisor called Monday to make sure everything was going well and said they were monitoring the progress and that GM was working with the service techs to make sure it got fixed right.

Got the car back Tuesday with a new coolant level sensor and a reprogrammed Body Control Module (I'll try to update the post with the details from the service sheet). Everything is good now and they even washed the car. I would highly recommend working with Appleway/AutoNation if you have a Volt, and I never thought I would say that about them in any regard.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
It's nice to hear of satisfactory (competent) dealer service departments. Good luck with your Volt.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
that is great - did they let you have the old part back - I still want to know how it works :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Service High Voltage Charging System

I had this pop up while I was driving to the dealer this week. He said they added like a cup of coolant, pressure tested it for 3 hours and not leaks. code went away. Could it be a bad sensor?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just replaced my sensor and brought the coolant level to the correct level
Can I now clear the codes with an Actron code reader without messing anything up?

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
I just replaced my sensor and brought the coolant level to the correct level
Can I now clear the codes with an Actron code reader without messing anything up?
I've not seen anyone saying that they screwed up their car by deleting codes. However, the codes may come back. If that happens, come back here for further advice.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for this. The code reader didn't crash anything, but couldn't clear the "permanent" codes either. My VCX Nano just arrived today from Amazon. Looks like I have a lot to learn. Including Chinese.

·
Registered
Chevy Volt 2013, 250k km still 13,8kWh battery for 70-75km. driving 53km to work daily
47 Posts
I think, its not difficult, it is on bottom of coolant tank. But its a bit tricky.

It is written 100times here, but one more time warning:
Open the hood, lock your car, go to walk for half an hour, and AFTER then, go back to the car and disconnect the sensor. If you disconnect the sensor before the car "go to the sleep", you risk the uneraseable DTCs, and without the reflashing the ECUs, the wall-charger will be not working anymore.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Replacing the sensor is easy once you slip it off the bottom of the tank. My problem ended up being that the wires leading to the sensor (the harness) had a bad splice. I replaced them beneath the failed splice and cleared the latched codes (using VX Nano reprogramming). All has been good since then :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts