GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I purchased the individual cell voltage feature for the mygreenvolt app. Tested my son's (previously mine) 2011 with 140,000 miles, which has been operating just fine, roughly 30 miles per charge, occasionally he says the engine starts with charge remaining then after a few minutes switches back to battery. Anyway, connected to mygreenvolt, indicated 12% charge and there was 3 miles on the guess o meter. min voltage was 3.672, max 3.716 avg 3.694 so a difference of .044 between high and low. No idea what the "normal" difference would be, anyone confirm if this is good or bad?
I also connected to my 2018 with a full charge and the difference between high and low was just .015

·
Registered
31 Posts
I also recently purchased the same capability on mygreenvolt. On my 2012 that was mostly discharged, my max voltage was 3.779 and the min voltage was 3.769 or a difference of 0.01 Volts from max to min. Has the 2011 had the cell rebalancing recall performed? Mine has had it. Prior to having it done, my max-min values were quite a bit higher and this was on the average values of the 3 parts of the battery prior to me getting the upgraded individual cell voltage capability. I'm sure that my max - min for individual cells would have been even higher.

I am pretty sure that my charger was charging at the time. That may make a difference. I will retake it soon without it being charged.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, the cell balance recall has NOT been done. I want to get a reading after his car has been fully charged and see the difference then. I'm still on the edge about getting the recall done, like I said, it is operating fine with an average 30 mile battery range. I would hate to have it drop to 25 or under because they reduce the usable capacity. I know it also allows a couple sensors to fail without causing a failure, that would be a good reaon to do the recall. I didn't think a .044 difference was all that bad at the state of charge it had, not fully depleted or fully charged, but that's why I am asking here, .044, good or bad???

·
Registered
203 Posts
AFAIK more than 0.3v is bad

Charge fully the battery and the difference should drop if balancing occurred

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, 0.3 would be bad, or do you mean 0.03 ??? But again, the reading was near depletion of the battery so I would assume that would be worst case scenario for cell imbalance. I do need to check after a full charge.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Green Text Line Font Technology
Green Text Font Technology Games
Green Text Font Oscilloscope Line

Hello. Got this issue on 2014 Volt with 50k miles. Should i install software update or will it brick my car? That's the question :(( there is only ~0.15v difference, not 0.3. Finally i know I do must update and I understand no one will cover my warranty, because I live in Georgia and here we got only Europe GM dealer. So i'm going even to pay for update.

·
Registered
7 Posts
View attachment 160813 View attachment 160815 View attachment 160817

Hello. Got this issue on 2014 Volt with 50k miles. Should i install software update or will it brick my car? That's the question :(( there is only ~0.15v difference, not 0.3. Finally i know I do must update and I understand no one will cover my warranty, because I live in Georgia and here we got only Europe GM dealer. So i'm going even to pay for update.
That looks like a weak cell. Charging it throws the voltage much higher than the others and discharging throws the voltage much lower. When this voltage difference gets large enough you'll have the trouble codes and such. Without understanding exactly what's in the update I would say it's probably better to do the update than not. I have a similar cell as you on my number 82. It's not near as drastic as yours though. I only checked my cell voltages after the update because the app was showing me voltages and I thought they were real when indeed it was just a dummy screen and I hadn't clicked on the purchase button at the top left yet so all of my screenshots of my cell voltages prior to the update were useless. I bought the car broken last week and did the update myself. So far so good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Module update is very important: It will balance the cells "more often". The previous version did balance only when it was full.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts