GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to allow Gen 1 Oqners of a new GM Volt service bulletin put out on Oct 12 , 2021 that may help some of you if all of a sudden your Li-ion battery did not charge last night and now you are on Gas and no matter what you try to do the Level 1 or Level 2 charger will not charge. Otherwise you aren't disabled, but you have to burn gas even to charge the Li-ion pack back up a few miles. My VOLT has 71, 569 miles and it is a 2015. Previously ,it has been flawless,but that message showed up last week and no it was not low on coolant. I added the dexcool for the Battery cooling to the above black line ( which is 1.5 to 2 inches above the mid tank seam). I had talked to my dealer from which I purchased this as a used Chevy Volt with 48 , 593 miles when I bought it in 2018 , October. My dealer was interested in finding a solution for the problem. I drove it 82 miles on Gas to the Dealer with no issues and left it until they called me 3 days later advising me of a resolved problem and they found a new bulletin issued for this kind of problem and resolve . Chevrolet paid the entire bill. How sweet is that.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Just wanted to allow Gen 1 Oqners of a new GM Volt service bulletin put out on Oct 12 , 2021 that may help some of you if all of a sudden your Li-ion battery did not charge last night and now you are on Gas and no matter what you try to do the Level 1 or Level 2 charger will not charge. Otherwise you aren't disabled, but you have to burn gas even to charge the Li-ion pack back up a few miles. My VOLT has 71, 569 miles and it is a 2015. Previously ,it has been flawless,but that message showed up last week and no it was not low on coolant. I added the dexcool for the Battery cooling to the above black line ( which is 1.5 to 2 inches above the mid tank seam). I had talked to my dealer from which I purchased this as a used Chevy Volt with 48 , 593 miles when I bought it in 2018 , October. My dealer was interested in finding a solution for the problem. I drove it 82 miles on Gas to the Dealer with no issues and left it until they called me 3 days later advising me of a resolved problem and they found a new bulletin issued for this kind of problem and resolve . Chevrolet paid the entire bill. How sweet is that.
Very sweet!

I had a 2012 which had a battery coolant level sensor installed as part of a recall or TSB (don’t know the correct term) and it was fine but eventually got SHVCS. They replaced sensor, came back, then finally replaced wiring harness. First wiring harness had an open in one of the wires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This should be covered under the 8yr. 100,000 mile Voltec warranty

Bulletin #21- NA-224 , ( OCT 12 2021 ) codes scanned , POAA6 , PODAA , P1FFF.
FOUND UPDATE FOR BATTERY ENERGY C ONTROL MODULE AND HYBRID POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE 2 AND REPROGRAMMED MODULE 2 WITH SPS ( 2810265 ) AND BATTERY ENERGY CONTROL MODULE WITH SPS ( 2810945 )

·
Registered
151 Posts
Great information everyone. My son's 2011 Volt just experienced this problem so I brought it into my local dealer and they applied this exact update #21-NA-224 to the vehicle. The Volt started charging at the dealer so they charged it to full and the error message about the problem with the High Voltage Charging System went away. I drove it home and plugged it in and had no issues, it started charging after plugging it in. Hopefully this issue has been solved. Great service at Merit Chevrolet in Maplewood, MN

·
Administrator
23,082 Posts
moved to Problems, Driver Warnings

WOT stated: The ONLY way to clear the SHVCS message and P1FFx series of DTCs is to reprogram HPCM2 (under the passenger seat) 2012 "Service High Voltage Charging System &quot...

Reprogramming Related Threads:

·
Registered
17 Posts
We just had the exact same thing. Ours stopped accepting a charge in August. Dealer said the battery was dead and nothing they could do. Kept researching and going back to them. Eventually they found the service bulletin #21-NA-224, they applied the fix and it has been charging just fine since the end of November

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
Same here but without the happy ending with my 2012 Cyber Grey 220,000km.
SHVCS, Autolink AL329 scanner shows P1E00, P1FFF, P0AA6, this fine forum points to coolant level new level mark. I check the coolant level and it was a bit above the original fill line so I topped to above black label, reset codes using my scanner but P0AA9 remains. Dealership reprograms module per 21-NA-224 (despite this was done per recall back in Oct 2019) and charge me for it, this temporary fixed the issue. SHVCS came back within few km driven. Dealership drop the battery since the harnesses, sensor, pump and coolant heater tested ok, diagnosis is bad battery and unable to clear code so car won't charge. With 4km left on the charge I try Mountain Mode while parked in my driveway and the battery charge went up to 11km. Did some errands on MM, now car has 14km which is about 40% of what the display shows. Car does charge the battery on MM so I am arguing the bad battery diagnosis with dealership and think it may be a flaky sensor again as it was changed back in sept 2017. I think it could also be an air bubble triggering the lock.
Total dealer bill so far $2k.
Any suggestion? I love my car and believe it has still lots of life left.
I am running out of ammo and hope!
Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
6,544 Posts
We just had the exact same thing. Ours stopped accepting a charge in August. Dealer said the battery was dead and nothing they could do. Kept researching and going back to them. Eventually they found the service bulletin #21-NA-224, they applied the fix and it has been charging just fine since the end of November
I think this is the one being talked about? [Looking at this stuff related to our own cars.]

PIC5920J related to 21-NA-224 ?

1 of 3
i.imgur<dot>com/GYMgTLT.jpg

2 of 3
i.imgur<dot>com/COXGgrI.jpg

3 of 3
i.imgur<dot>com/NupILso.jpg

·
Registered
2011 Volt Premier (0737); 2010 Highlander Hybrid; 1993 K3500 6.5TD former ambulance
218 Posts
I think this is the one being talked about? [Looking at this stuff related to our own cars.]

PIC5920J related to 21-NA-224 ?

1 of 3
i.imgur<dot>com/GYMgTLT.jpg

2 of 3
i.imgur<dot>com/COXGgrI.jpg

3 of 3
i.imgur<dot>com/NupILso.jpg
.... Dealership reprograms module per 21-NA-224 (despite this was done per recall back in Oct 2019) and charge me for it, this temporary fixed the issue...
PIC5920J does seem to be related 21-NA-224, at least from what I've been told. I asked my dealership about it earlier this year. They said that since I had PIC5920J done in early 2020, there is no need to do 21-NA-224. They said it is the same procedure as the earlier recall and that the software had not been changed since I had the recall done. It seemed odd (and still does), because why put out the 2021 TSB (21-NA-224) if it is just the same as the 2019 Recall (PIC5920J)? Maybe the Recall had a time limit and the new TSB just allows the customer to be charged for the same work, as shrikebuster was?
It would be nice to see the actual wording of 21-NA-224, but my dealership said it is for "internal use only" and they couldn't send it to me. :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
6,544 Posts
PIC5920J does seem to be related 21-NA-224, at least from what I've been told. I asked my dealership about it earlier this year. They said that since I had PIC5920J done in early 2020, there is no need to do 21-NA-224. They said it is the same procedure as the earlier recall and that the software had not been changed since I had the recall done. It seemed odd (and still does), because why put out the 2021 TSB (21-NA-224) if it is just the same as the 2019 Recall (PIC5920J)? Maybe the Recall had a time limit and the new TSB just allows the customer to be charged for the same work, as shrikebuster was?
It would be nice to see the actual wording of 21-NA-224, but my dealership said it is for "internal use only" and they couldn't send it to me. :unsure:
I don't know but letter my kid received did say it was no charge for a limited time. Not sure if it is related to that timing.

·
Registered
2011 Volt Premier (0737); 2010 Highlander Hybrid; 1993 K3500 6.5TD former ambulance
218 Posts
I don't know but letter my kid received did say it was no charge for a limited time. Not sure if it is related to that timing.
Okay, that seems to make sense. My GUESS based on reading this thread is that TSB# 21-NA-224 (chargeable) was published concurrent with the 10/31/21 expiration of RECALL# PIC5920J (free), and that they are the same procedure.
Thanks scottf200!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got my '14 back from the shop for this SHVCS issue (setting codes P0AA6 and P1FFF). The notes on the invoice also reference 21-NA-224. I did (as may soon be obvious) have the HPCM2 cell balancing 'recall' done last year.

This is what I found interesting from the tech's notes:
Found bulletin 21-NA-224 indicating that if the codes set with no visible reason, the reason may be due to a software calibration concern. Also found in diagnostics that a mismatched calibration could cause the concern. Further investigation found that the hybrid powertrain control module has the latest software but the battery energy control module is not running the latest software. Programmed the battery energy control module and cleared all codes.
What I'm wondering about is the part that I've underlined. I've not seen it written elsewhere that a mismatch between the two software levels could contribute to this issue. This makes me suspect athat if I'd never had the HPCM2 updated, I might not have even had this issue. It would seem that the service procedure for that update should also include an update for the BECM, but apparently it doesn't.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I brought my 2012 Volt (143k miles) in today, sporting the Service High Voltage Charging System message/code. I had already topped off the battery coolant in the reservoir and replaced the sensor magnet, per recommendations here, but to no avail. I cleared the code and it came right back, never allowing a charge. The assessment: HPCM2 AND BECM UPDATE (HPCM2 AND BECM UPDATE) - 362.50 and CHARGE PORT (HPCM2 AND BECM UPDATE) - $652.66, so $1015 to have software updates installed? Wow! Should I just leave it and run on gas at 40 mpg? ... dang :-(

·
Registered
2011 Premium, Nav (added back-up camera! :)
523 Posts
I think that "CHARGE PORT (HPCM2 AND BECM UPDATE) - $652.66 " indicates that want to replace the charge port.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think that "CHARGE PORT (HPCM2 AND BECM UPDATE) - $652.66 " indicates that want to replace the charge port.
Wow, though that'd make more sense. I wonder if I shouldn't go to the other Chevy dealer in town to get a "second opinion"...or do they share a common database and there'd be no difference? The car charged fine and I had nothing intermittent that would indicate the charge port was going bad. Also, wondering why they have "(HPCM2 AND BECM UPDATE)" as part of the description. ... I'll ask the service rep. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Though I saw the re-programming of the HPCM2 AND BECM was 0.8 Hr tech time charge ?
when I had a recall reprogramming

1 - 20 of 74 Posts