GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys , I am new at this forum.

I own 2011 chevy volt with 60K miles on it .

I have had problems with Battery coolant level sensor with an error "service high voltage charging system" I changed sensor and every time I do it my volt needs a System Dump ( Reprogram) which is kind of a problem in my county .
We don't have legitimate service center so a dude charges a lot for that service. Any option I can purchase programming device and software to do it ?
Please advice

Thank you !

·
Registered
433 Posts
Sorry I don't know much about reprogramming, but if the sensor keeps activating, are you sure you're running the correct level of coolant? GM changed the guidance at some point I think between the 2012 and 2014 model years that increases the level of coolant in the reservoir. It needs to be at the top of that black sticker on the tank. There is an FAQ on this site somewhere with photos that show the NEW proper level of coolant.

Edit: Here is a link to the FAQ on the battery coolant. http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?119089-Battery-Coolant-and-other-Fluid-Levels-FAQ

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Guys , I am new at this forum.

I own 2011 chevy volt with 60K miles on it .

I have had problems with Battery coolant level sensor with an error "service high voltage charging system" I changed sensor and every time I do it my volt needs a System Dump ( Reprogram) which is kind of a problem in my county .
We don't have legitimate service center so a dude charges a lot for that service. Any option I can purchase programming device and software to do it ?
Please advice

·
Registered
165 Posts
Welcome to our community.
It seems to me like a little of an understatement, "... kind of a problem in my country".
I think Georgia might well be the most remote Volt that I have heard of.
Perhaps a European tech might be closest, if that isn't a far fetched service.

There is much discussion about a problem that sounds like that you are having;

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?255506-WOTs-COOLANT-LEVEL-SENSOR-SERVICE-HIGH-VOLTAGE-CHARGING-SYSTEM-MESSAGE-DEFEAT-PLUG

Please read up on the details and workaround, unfortunately it sounds like you've missed the opportunity to prevent this the first time.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Welcome;
I have responded in your other post.

There are some people here that are experimenting with fiddling with the Volt systems, but it is early yet, I don't imagine you're going to be easily able to resolve this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha yeah mate thats true...
There is 1 guy who has access to that system update on official Gm- website .

Does anyone know how to buy that service? maybe you can help?

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
The end result of that long thread is that (I think this is right) a 24.7k ohm resistor will return a good value for the sensor, and however you get the resistor on the lead is probably okay.

The programming the computer thing is a much more complicated problem, short of becoming "the dude" who charges a lot yourself. HOWEVER, a lot of the problems you're having with the messages about the high-voltage charging system will stop happening once that sensor gets replaced with a resistor that's properly secured and sealed against corrosion.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Unfortunately the Volt requires the use of an MDS (GM tool) and subscription to their programming service. You can buy a short term (couple of days) membership that will allow you to connect via laptop to do your own programming upgrades/reflashing but thats pretty expensive, probably what your guy uses and why you have to pay so much. My question though is do you by chance have an Opel dealership you can work with? The Opel Ampera uses the same powertrain that the Volt uses.

·
Administrator
19,970 Posts
Please don't double post. Threads merged.

·
1,027 Posts
I know WOP says it's a latch code and requires a reflash to clear, but I was able to clear the code permanently with a Microcan cable and VCDS in OBD2 mode. No instant refire, able to drive for weeks without the code going off until the battery itself started failing internally and throwing other codes, which I could also clear. but would refire eventually after a full charge when the BCM was unable to balance the bad cells in the battery pack.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The end result of that long thread is that (I think this is right) a 24.7k ohm resistor will return a good value for the sensor, and however you get the resistor on the lead is probably okay.

The programming the computer thing is a much more complicated problem, short of becoming "the dude" who charges a lot yourself. HOWEVER, a lot of the problems you're having with the messages about the high-voltage charging system will stop happening once that sensor gets replaced with a resistor that's properly secured and sealed against corrosion.
Haha , I understand what you mean , but I need it for myself just so I can charge my car and drive it which is my huge problem for the moment

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Unfortunately the Volt requires the use of an MDS (GM tool) and subscription to their programming service. You can buy a short term (couple of days) membership that will allow you to connect via laptop to do your own programming upgrades/reflashing but thats pretty expensive, probably what your guy uses and why you have to pay so much. My question though is do you by chance have an Opel dealership you can work with? The Opel Ampera uses the same powertrain that the Volt uses.
We have an opel service which told me they can't do a programming on the car , do you know where I can see prices of GM Tool and subscription ? or how to ?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
This is a list of subscription packages to give you access to their software and prices.
https://www.acdelcotds.com/acdelco/action/subscribehome

You will also need a GM MDI to interface between the vehicle and a laptop. A quick google search for "GM MDI" will give you a number of options. The cheaper units costing no more than a couple hundred dollars are cheap copies of the real device an may or may not work so I can't really recommend anything other than a real Bosch made. That said, I do have a copy of a Tech2 (older GM device) that works flawlessly, unfortunately it's not compatible with the Volt.

As for the laptop, Most any unit built in the last couple years should work. You can use a desktop although it may need to be fairly close.

As for directions, youtube is a great source to find videos showing how to use the MDI. There may even be some on how to get everything set up.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I need a way flush HPMC2 , can you help with that?
I don't know if you have Amazon there, but over here you can buy a VCX Nano (GM Version) for 139USD that includes GDS2 and is compatible with GM SPS. You can use that to flash the modules in your Volt, but you do need to pay for an SPS subscription. In the US the least expensive subscription is 55USD for 2 days. Below is my write-up on using it.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?13194-quot-Service-High-Voltage-Charging-System-quot-Message&p=4153377#post4153377

You do need to either replace the sensor or install a fake sensor as described by other in this thread.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't know if you have Amazon there, but over here you can buy a VCX Nano (GM Version) for 139USD that includes GDS2 and is compatible with GM SPS. You can use that to flash the modules in your Volt, but you do need to pay for an SPS subscription. In the US the least expensive subscription is 55USD for 2 days. Below is my write-up on using it.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?13194-quot-Service-High-Voltage-Charging-System-quot-Message&p=4153377#post4153377

You do need to either replace the sensor or install a fake sensor as described by other in this thread.
Thanks,
I will take a look into it .

https://www.amazon.com/VXDIAG-Tech2Win-Diagnostic-Programming-Version/dp/B0743BFLXB/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1506319540&sr=8-3&keywords=VCX+Nano+(GM+Version)

is this what you are talking about?

and can you tell me where you ordered new sensor for 21$?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts