GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
The area below the A pillar on the Volt is messed up. It doesn't seem like it blends very well. Other than that, both are very unique cars. Volt #1 with the Prius really not far behind, IMO.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
IMO, the Volt is more attractive than the Prius. Not much you can do about the shapes; the requirement for aerodynamic design supercedes the style of the concept vehicle.

·
Registered
35 Posts
That is not what the 3rd generation Prius will look like, that is a picture of the Hybrid-X Concept.

Edit: Just because it says "Prius" doesn't mean anything, I could make it say Kevin if I chose to. Then tell everyone it is the 2010 Kevin Hybrid.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Volt = No Gas for the first 40 miles

Prius = You don't really know, unless you go very very slowly will always need gas

Winner = Volt

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Just like voting in the general election, we need a third choice!!!:mad:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Like the $18,500 2010 Honda Insight? http://www.leftlanenews.com/honda-insight.html

Hmmmm....$40k for this disappointment or $18.5k for a gas sipper with a better reliability projection? If you buy a Volt, you will never recoup the cost.
And if Chevy actually puts the Volt on the market for $40k they'll be doing it to kill the project. Lutz can run off at the mouth all he wants, but I don't believe the car will come to market at $40k. They might make a case for it at $30k if it's VERY well-equipped at launch (assuming '10 market prices are similar to the current levels.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
And if Chevy actually puts the Volt on the market for $40k they'll be doing it to kill the project. Lutz can run off at the mouth all he wants, but I don't believe the car will come to market at $40k. They might make a case for it at $30k if it's VERY well-equipped at launch (assuming '10 market prices are similar to the current levels.)
I'd say given what they've done to this car, even paying $30k for it is a stretch.

Also, do we know how many it seats and what the voltage use per month is projected to be?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'd say given what they've done to this car, even paying $30k for it is a stretch.

Also, do we know how many it seats and what the voltage use per month is projected to be?
If people buy equipped Priuses for $30k (check all the boxes and the Toyota configurator calls that $29,744 in north Texas) they'll buy a car that will use NO fuel for most of their daily driving for the same price, *IF* it's similarly equipped. That's nav, satellite radio, leather seats, yadda yadda yadda.

Volt is supposed to be a 4-passenger car (giving up the rear center passenger spot to a tunnel that houses part of the battery pack, I believe.) The voltage is supposed to be 120v (standard household current) but I think what you mean to ask is how many kilowatt hours is it supposed to use in a month... that would depend on how much you drive, but several people on the forum have done calculations based on the size of the battery and the usable charge capacity, a search should turn that up. How much it would actually cost would depend on what you pay your local electric utility per kWh.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The voltage is supposed to be 120v (standard household current) but I think what you mean to ask is how many kilowatt hours is it supposed to use in a month... that would depend on how much you drive, but several people on the forum have done calculations based on the size of the battery and the usable charge capacity, a search should turn that up. How much it would actually cost would depend on what you pay your local electric utility per kWh.
Yes, you nailed it. I wasn't thinking about it correctly.

As for the price, I agree that if it is fully-equipped, $30k is fine. I just have my doubts. GM (Chevy in particular) tends to price their vehicles VERY high, into the Toyota price-point, yet their reliability and build quality is still worlds away from Toyota. My guess is, $30k would be a base price...especially given that they have already said they would not even be turning a profit pricing it between $35-40k. If they were to lower it just because the majority of potential consumers have indicated that they find the production model to be a sheer disaster in execution, it makes them look as though they were lying all along about the pricing. That's a delicate line to tread.

·
Registered
157 Posts
In terms of styling I like the top blue Toyota better than the Volt. The shape appeals to me more than the standard sedan look of the Volt.

As a third choice I would add in the Mitsubishi Mi-EV. I would also place that car above the Volt in terms of styling and shape.

In terms of drive train and technology we know pretty well what GM is wanting to offer for 2010 (40 mile AER with about 50 mpg) but I don't know what the Prius will offer in the future or what the Mitsubishi specs will be like. That comparo is still up in the air until production specs can be compared.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The voltage is supposed to be 120v (standard household current) but I think what you mean to ask is how many kilowatt hours is it supposed to use in a month... that would depend on how much you drive, but several people on the forum have done calculations based on the size of the battery and the usable charge capacity, a search should turn that up. How much it would actually cost would depend on what you pay your local electric utility per kWh.
I understand about 80 cents/charge, which takes a few hours. Equivalent of approx 150miles/gal of gasoline. Maybe you could conceivably do 2 charges a day?

Also consider that there might be dealer 'adds' for this new car when it initially comes out. And maybe some Federal incentives by then, to assist with and encourage its purchase.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
As a third choice I would add in the Mitsubishi Mi-EV. I would also place that car above the Volt in terms of styling and shape.
I will not buy a car that I can't drive from San Francisco to Los Angeles in 6 hours or less. I can see how the Volt ended up like it did. You can't make everybody happy, so if you want to appeal to the most people, go boring and middle of the road. Look at us, I want it to look like a baby Camaro and you want it to look like an egg on wheels. With that kind of divergence in taste among people interested, they have to go super bland.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Like the $18,500 2010 Honda Insight?
That's kind of just Prius light. I really want an E-REV, so in my case, if not the Volt or any other E-REV that we don't know of yet, then I'll stick with what I have now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I dont think we have seen the last of the design yet. Those doors would be impossible to mass produce or even stamp the steel and have them fit. Lets hope the car shows can show us an alternative to this current design. I really do not like the look of it in the photos. Big yawn.

·
Registered
64 Posts

IIRC, regular gasoline contains about 33kwh of energy per gallon and you get about 25% of the energy back out in a motor. A battery returns 67% of the energy. 67 = 2.68 x 25.

So if you pay 8 cents per kwh, the cost to purchase the same amount of electrical energy as the energy in a gallon of gasoline the cost would be $2.64. Then, you would divide that by 2.68, for efficiency and the cost is: $0.98 per gallon. Then, you subtract for energy recovered via regenerative braking, which will reduce that some more.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I will not buy a car that I can't drive from San Francisco to Los Angeles in 6 hours or less. I can see how the Volt ended up like it did. You can't make everybody happy, so if you want to appeal to the most people, go boring and middle of the road. Look at us, I want it to look like a baby Camaro and you want it to look like an egg on wheels. With that kind of divergence in taste among people interested, they have to go super bland.
Actually, like yourself, I want the Volt to look like the concept. I want it to have some style and stand out and be recognized in a crowd. However, the bland styling has made it very undesirable for me. I mention that I would prefer to have a Mitsubishi or other "egg-shaped" car because the design actually provides useable space.

In terms of my preferences:
1. Attention grabbing styling, if I can't have that;
2. Useable space, if I can't have that;
3. Whatever else is available on the market.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts