GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a horrible mistake today, and now I need to rant/vent for a moment.

My husband is retired, and drives very little. In addition to our Volt (which he refuses to drive -- because it has a push button start), we own a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. I will admit, it is a moderately fun vehicle in the summer time. We completely remove the top and the doors.

Anyway, for a few weeks it has been nagging him that it is time for an oil change. Normally, I handle all of the service / maintenance needs for our vehicles. I do not do oil changes myself, because I find the cost of having someplace else worth the hassle. Generally, when it needs something, I am the one who takes it for service. I have been working 70-80 hours per week for the past year because my team at work has been drastically understaffed (this is improving, we are training 4 new people currently).

I sent my husband to my usual place for oil changes, and what should have been about $50 turned into an $900 visit. I should have made time to take it in. In addition to the oil change, the jeep got a new battery that it did not need (I replaced it myself about 6 months ago), new wiper blades (replaced last month), new air filter (replaced approximately 7,000 miles earlier), new brake pads (replaced myself when I did the air filter)... I'm not going to list everything...

Expensive lesson learned though...

If they made an EV Wrangler, ours would be replaced the moment I could get my hands on one.

Any idea roughly how much it costs in general to convert an ICE to EV?

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Problem is all this can all be done with a Volt as well...

A lot of people hear horror stories from Pepboys when folks try to save a buck and request major work to be done but I've never experienced a problem there when I bring it in for an oil change...They had (I haven't checked if they still have) a weekday $19.95 oil change special, with fees and taxes it's just under $24 and they have wifi...Usually go for lunch, never been there more than 30mins with about 20mins being the average...I haven't had any problems chevy dealerships yet have with others, out of the bumper to bumper warranty but still within powertrain warranty, service advisor claims it's covered, I show up and get slapped with a bill...

Wrangler has all the awesome but range killing dynamics, convertible, AWD (if done right can add range) and ground clearance...So will possibly be one of the last models to be EVed...

·
Registered
84 Posts
I read poisonspyder.com was working on a conversion kit for the Wrangler. Don't know if I remember seeing a price, but you may give them a call. I think they were focusing on an off-road outfit.

I've also seen a few 'home' conversions done with the process posted online; one guy on YouTube did a really clean looking conversion with a Warp DC motor.

Conversion I would think would start at $10k, just depends on your motor, controller and battery chemistry choices. Warp 9 = $3.5k and ~ 20kWh salvaged lithium batteries about $4k, other components will vary.

Labor/time is another story, lol!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was telling my father about the experience last night. He is not a fan of Tires Plus. Apparently, several years ago he was taking his truck for an oil change and wanted to see how honest they were.

To test their honesty, he removed the engine air filter about a block before he arrived. When they told him that he needed a new air filter, because his current one was almost black with dirt, he called them out on it, demanded his vehicle back and never returned.

·
8,680 Posts
I made a horrible mistake today, and now I need to rant/vent for a moment.

My husband is retired, and drives very little. In addition to our Volt (which he refuses to drive -- because it has a push button start), we own a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. I will admit, it is a moderately fun vehicle in the summer time. We completely remove the top and the doors.

Anyway, for a few weeks it has been nagging him that it is time for an oil change. Normally, I handle all of the service / maintenance needs for our vehicles. I do not do oil changes myself, because I find the cost of having someplace else worth the hassle. Generally, when it needs something, I am the one who takes it for service. I have been working 70-80 hours per week for the past year because my team at work has been drastically understaffed (this is improving, we are training 4 new people currently).

I sent my husband to my usual place for oil changes, and what should have been about $50 turned into an $900 visit. I should have made time to take it in. In addition to the oil change, the jeep got a new battery that it did not need (I replaced it myself about 6 months ago), new wiper blades (replaced last month), new air filter (replaced approximately 7,000 miles earlier), new brake pads (replaced myself when I did the air filter)... I'm not going to list everything...

Expensive lesson learned though...

If they made an EV Wrangler, ours would be replaced the moment I could get my hands on one.

Any idea roughly how much it costs in general to convert an ICE to EV?
The cost to convert varies greatly depending on the range you need and the hardware you use. $20-30k is probably a decent ballpark for hardware bought new from the aftermarket. If you can adapt parts from a salvage EV it gets a lot cheaper. Not sure what the labor would be like.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The cost to convert varies greatly depending on the range you need and the hardware you use. $20-30k is probably a decent ballpark for hardware bought new from the aftermarket. If you can adapt parts from a salvage EV it gets a lot cheaper. Not sure what the labor would be like.
I don't love the jeep enough to convert it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts
Your husband won't drive a car with a push button start?

I shall have to send a note via Pony Express to the Western Union office to my wife about that one. She will get a hearty laugh while lighting the gas lamps and stoking the coal furnace.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What makes a vehicle having a button to turn it on blacklisted?
To quote his exact words "It's not normal"... even though it is becoming the new normal.

His next vehicle will have it, I will make sure of that!

·
8,680 Posts
To quote his exact words "It's not normal"... even though it is becoming the new normal.

His next vehicle will have it, I will make sure of that!

You know, there's an easy way to get him an AWD electric vehicle that doesn't have a push button to turn on...

Dual motor Tesla. No on/off button, no key to turn. :p

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You know, there's an easy way to get him an AWD electric vehicle that doesn't have a push button to turn on...

Dual motor Tesla. No on/off button, no key to turn. :p
I would love that, sadly they cost more than we bought our house for. I have entertained the idea of upgrading my Volt to a pre-owned model s, but then I realized I could buy 2 new premium Bolts for the same cost.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts