GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read that GM may be considering a cheaper version of the Volt that would have a 20 Mile range.

My personal feeling is that is way too little - even 40 miles would not be enough for a lot of people/

I would still be very interested in the 40 mile version but the 20 mile version does not appeal or make a lot of sense to me -

I really hope GM goes the other way and increases the mileage capability - I know cost is a factor but they can price themselves out of the market very quickly.

Bottom line - most of the people interested in the Volt are concerned about the cost of fuel and it would figure that they would also be concerned with the cost of the car. If the car is too expensive and limited in its capability then it will become affordable only to those with a lot of money - and I really do not think that they are that concerned with the price of fuel and would not be interested in buying the Volt.

If Chevy wants to be the common man's car then they really need to make it affordable, reliable and practical. That way they can sell a ton of copies and reduce cost and increase profits.

·
Registered
22 Posts
20 mile range

I agree with you cap, 20 miles is impractical. I live in the greater metro St. Louis area. About 3 million people live in the area, many commuting from adjacent counties and beyond into St. Louis City and County for work. I would say only about 20 percent would be able to use a 20 mile Volt. I am confident the 40 mile range of the Volt can be extended to twice that, within a small time frame once GM sees how popular the Volt can be,properly priced and marketed.:)

·
Registered
211 Posts
20 miles??? Sad - I wouldn't even consider the car if it was to go less than the 40 miles they hooked me on with the prototype car. I would like it to be more like 100 miles. Secondly if the car turns out to look worse and not better than what got me here in the first place I will just keep driving my 2000 Chevrolet Tracker until something better comes along. Heck my wife and I both drive and I would consider 2 Volts for my family.

I am sure there are plenty of people out there that would take the car no matter what it looks like based on the fact it is economical and practical for use. GM says this is to be a pony car??> The Mustang and Camaro were pony cars. The idea was to have a sporty yet affordable car for the family's of American to embrace and embrace they did.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Look, this is getting out of control. The article said that they were considering producing a cheaper 20 mile version in the future. The 40 mile Volt is still happening first. It's just a possible option for the future. They're not down grading the Volt's performance goals at all.

I think it's a great idea. Build two identical cars but one has a 16kwh battery pack and the other cheaper one has a 8kwh battery pack. The savings on the 20 mile version would be pretty substantial and make the car with in reach of a lot of folks who might otherwise skip it and buy a Prius or something, and of coarse for some people 20 miles is enough. Then, at a later date, the guy who bought the 8kwh battery could trade in his battery for the 40kwh battery along with a software download if he feels he needs more EV range. It's just options folks, that's all.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I want the 10 mile version

currently my only option to charge the volt is to run an extension cord out of my front window. In my neighborhood, it doesn't make sense to charge the volt for the estimated 6 to 6.5 hours to bring it to "full". I think I have the patience (and the free time) to sit and babysit my car for about 2 hours. So it would make sense that I only ever need a 10 mile AER battery. I don't want to pay (a lot I should add) for functionality that I will not be able to take advantage of. I bet there is a large market out there of folks who have no or limited access to electrical power for their car.

I wish GM would make a variety of different Volts.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I like the idea of having options for the battery pack range for the Volt, especially if you can add a battery pack module to the 20 mile battery pack, if your needs change. The 20 mile pack is the best option for me. Look at the math for a Volt driven 10,000 miles per year:

24 miles R/T to work

For work
Daily, 20 miles in electric, and last 4 miles in hybrid.
Annually, 5,000 miles electric and 1,000 hybrid @ 50 mpg

Annual gas to work, 1,000/50= 20 gal/yr. At $4/gal that’s only $80 per year to get to work.

Work will be 6,000 miles and I assume 4,000 miles on the week ends/vacation or about 52 x 2, or 104 days per year. The first 20 miles will be electric so, 102x 20 =2,040 miles electric and 1,960 on gas @ 50 mpg.

1,960/50= 40 gal/yr or about $160 per year for weekend gas.

Total annual gas cost for 60 gallons would be $240 for this case with the 20 mile Volt.
(Our existing car needs about 600 gallons per year.)

The 40 mile Volt could go the year in all electric mode in this example. (This would be cool!)

Lets, assume the battery packs cost $5,000 per 20 miles of range.

Is it worth it to add $5,000 more for the 40 mile range Volt, to save $240 per year?

I think I would pick the 20 mile Volt, because I’ve reduced my gas needs by 90% and I may be able to add a better, cheaper battery in the future.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Nice analysis of your needs. I need to do the same thing based on my 60 mile r/t commute and the trade-off between doing 20 miles per day in hybrid mode and the potential reduction in battery pack longevity from recharging it twice daily.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hmmm...google maps shows I go 9.9 to 12.2 miles one-way per day so that's 18.8 to 24.4.

Assuming I get a 20mi range volt then I barely make it back in time before the gas starts to get burned. At most It'd burn up to 5 miles of gas a day. So that's 48 work weeks... so 48 gallons a year for gas expected. Unexpected gas usage may see upwards of a tank or two for long range trips.

You know... I could definitely live with a 20mi range Volt.

·
Registered
492 Posts
not worth it

To take advantage of the electric-only range, one has to plug in the car every evening and unplug it every morning, hot or cold, rain or shine. Doing so will become a huge nuisance for those of us without enclosed garages, because of weather, because of children, packages, laptop computers, work papers, and all sorts of other things that have to be transported in and out, too. We are not simply car attendants.

For only 20 miles AER, the hassle factor of plugging in along with the higher price of the car is just not worth it. Better to pay the extra $1 for gas, if it's that much. It's a question of degree, but somehow for me 40 miles is worth it, but 20 is not.

If the car is going to be 20 instead of 40, then from my perspective it would be better to keep on going and to be zero rather than 20, i.e., just save still more on the battery and be a Prius.

·
Registered
211 Posts
06-14-2008 07:30 PM
DaV8or

When and where did they ever say that??!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM4F1qtAEyI

Watch this youtube video - the guy that say's it sure sounds like he is speaking for GM.

I could be wrong? It wouldn't be the first time and probably not the last either. Just how I saw it from this video and the way I think GM would make the best impact with this new venture.

:)

·
Registered
218 Posts
I think that the news of a 20 mile range version means that maybe the mpg when the generator is on is higher than the previously quoted 50mpg. If it's 60-70mpg, then it starts to make a lot of sense.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM4F1qtAEyI

Watch this youtube video - the guy that say's it sure sounds like he is speaking for GM.
I watched the video. The guy making the "pony car" reference is Bob Boniface, director of advanced design for GM, so yeah he is speaking for GM. However he says when talking about the appearance of the Volt concept, "Why not give it a face like a pony car?" He never says the Volt is to be a pony car. In this I believe he speaks the truth. The Volt concept 1 does look a little like a pony car.

The sad thing is, he will now have to eat all these bold cocky statements like the aerodynamics are "built in" and how other EVs and Hybrids are "apologetic" in their design for the sake of aerodynamics but not the Volt. We need to use this video to remind these GM folks not to make bold claims early in the game they might not be able to keep.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm really looking forward to seeing the final design. Any ideas when they plan to show us it?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I'm really looking forward to seeing the final design. Any ideas when they plan to show us it?
No idea, but some are speculating at the Paris auto show October 4th through the 19th for the general public and I imagine the press will be in the week before. So we may get pictures in late September. This is all speculation as GM has made no official announcements.

·
Registered
17 Posts
For someone who uses the Volt to commute to work, the electric range can be effectively doubled if the owner can arrange with his or her employer to charge the car while it's parked at work.

·
Registered
383 Posts
For someone who uses the Volt to commute to work, the electric range can be effectively doubled if the owner can arrange with his or her employer to charge the car while it's parked at work.
Ah, yes. And this is what I plan to do.

But, as I said earlier in the thread, what will that do to battery longevity? You can only cycle a battery so many times. Would it be more beneficial to do this (my one way commute is 30 miles) or keep the battery topped up with the generator?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts