GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far so good! One of the first things I did was bump up tire pressure to 42 psi cold inflation pressure, and just last week I was able to do 35% tint... check out my other thread about mods :)

I took delivery of my 2016 with 132 miles on the odometer a bit over 2 weeks ago (aug 11) and since then have done the daily commute with a round trip of 40 miles with a speed limit of 55 almost the entire trip, and have made one trip back to Indiana where I am in the process of selling my old house. That is a 1200 mile round trip with about 1000 of that at 70 mph and the other 200 at 60 or less.

Initial impressions coming from a 2011 are that I love the expanded EV range! Using the air conditioning as needed for cool comfortable driving (it has been in the mid 90's here the past few weeks) I have enough juice to run errands after work, where with the 2011 even if I were sweating my butt off I would probably still be burning gasoline just to make the daily commute at 55mph. I love the intelibeem headlights for my daily commute, they react fast when someone comes around a curve, or if I come up behind someone and give me brights the rest of the time. Not having the worry about clicking down on a fast driving curvy road is great! I just wish it was a "set and forget" like the actual auto headlights rather than having to select it every drive.

On my long highway trip, it is broken down into 4 legs. First leg was Mississippi to the half way point between here and my place in Indiana. I drove 338 miles with 54 of those being EV miles with a fuel economy of 41.2 mpg on gasoline and overall economy of 49.8 if you add in the EV miles. This was with temperatures in the mid 90's and clear weather. Speeds were 60 mph or less for around 40 miles, the rest of the trip at 70 mph.

Second leg of the trip was the half way point on to Indiana. Weather was clear. This section was 275 miles with zero EV miles and this section included around 60 miles at 60 mph or less, the rest at 70 mph. Economy was 44.4 mpg.

Third leg was going the other direction (duh!) from Indiana to the mid way point, starting with a full charge and temperatures in the high 80's. This section was 335 miles with 60 miles of EV driving, the first 100 miles was 60 mph or under with the remaining miles at 70 mph. I got 41.7 mpg on gasoline and with the EV miles added in total fuel economy was 50.8 mpg. Suck it Prius!

The final leg of my trip was mid point back to Mississippi, 270 miles (no EV miles) with temperature starting in the mid 80's and clear but temporarily dropping into the mid to high 70's when I was driving through monsoon rains for around 70 miles, and then back up into the 80's when I got past the storm. Fuel economy that section was 42.9 mpg.

During the highway driving when awake and alert with no traffic around me I played with the lane keep assist. I was able to travel several miles at a time without touching the steering wheel, but you risk being pulled over for drunk / distracted driving if you do this because the car ping-pongs back and forth in the lane rather than staying centered, and eventually you will go out of lane if you do this for enough miles. In my opinion since it is a "driver aid" rather than autonomous driving this is fine, GM didn't spend the extra time and money needed to make it keep to the center of the lane. Now when I was really tired and in need of caffeine it really came in handy. On my daily commute lane keep assist is useless, tight curves high speeds and poorly marked roads are not its environment!

So, in summery: For highway driving the comfort and fuel economy are great, around 42 mpg on new tires with a new not yet broken in engine is pretty good. On my daily commute I drive a 55mph 40 miles round trip, with the AC on in the morning, and blasting hard in the afternoon and I still have around 16 miles on the guess-o-meter when I get home for errand runs :)

Who could ask for more?

Keith

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
We have our 2016 with over 3,000 miles, 45 mpg on just gas, and 60+ miles just on electricity. It just seems to get
better as it breaks in. Lots of technology for the price, and a big improvement over our 2014 Volt which we traded in for
our 2016.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts