GM Volt Forum banner

2 quick Android Auto questions

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  okko 
#1 ·
1) I found that only the original usb cable that came with my Samsung Galaxy S6 would have the Android Auto work. At first, I used a cable that came with an adapter / cable bought off of Amazon (a second "backup") and Android Auto would not work. The backsplash would change but none of the buttons were responsive. The phone did say to use the "original" cable that came with the phone but I obviously shrugged that off. It worked right away with the original cable and when I switched to the other one it again did not work. I don't know how the heck the system can distinguish the proper cable from the "impostor." Not really a question, I guess, but has anyone else had this happen?

2) After I plug my phone in and Android Auto is engaged, I cannot use my phone at all (hitting home button, swiping does nothing, just stays on the Android Auto screen). Again, is this normal? I mean I understand not using the phone while driving, but sometimes I need to access the phone and as of now, I have to pull the cable to use it. Is there a workaround?

Kev

#2 ·
Any decent cable should work. Chances are the cable you were trying to use at first was cheap and didn't have the data bandwidth for Android Auto.

If you hit the "recent apps" button and then the home button, it should return to your actual home screen. It does for me, at least. Otherwise you can just switch to another app using the recents menu and use it.

#3 · (Edited)
#1 I have a Moto X Phone, not OEM cable, just a high quality off Amazon, no issues, works great

#2 It is kind of tricky, but yes, I can work my phone, but you must exit the app while plugged up. This is hard to explain without demonstrating it. I can still use the Navigation "google" screen while my wife uses the my Moto X phone. The "google" maps directions are still projected on the car's screen and directions are clearly given and spoken, and she can still use my phone to do anything else.

#3 You can't display everything on your phone onto the car's screen, it must be a compatible app and you can find that in the Google Play Store easy enough. Sending and receiving messages through Wattsapp, Messenger, and Telegram is a breeze. My link with Android Auto is setting the standard for others to follow here IMHO.

#6 ·
#3 You can't display everything on your phone onto the car's screen, it must be a compatible app and you can find that in the Google Play Store easy enough. Sending and receiving messages through Wattsapp, Messenger, and Telegram is a breeze. My link with Android Auto is setting the standard for others to follow here IMHO.
What is the voice command to send a Messenger message?

#4 ·
1) I found that only the original usb cable that came with my Samsung Galaxy S6 would have the Android Auto work.
USB cables that come with power adapters often have only the power wires and no wires to carry data back and forth. It makes the cables cheaper, but completely useless when trying to connect devices that actually need to communicate. When I find these kinds of cables I cut them in two and throw them in the trash. Life is too short to waste on useless cables, IMHO.

#10 ·
With Android Auto running, the Talk button on the steering wheel becomes dual function. A short press will allow you to give commands to the car. A long press lets you access Google commands.

#16 ·
Yes, "okay Google" works great. Say "send a message" and after being asked "to Who" it asks what type of message to send "SMS or BBM" as examples (I believe based on the information in the phone for the contact you are messaging). Seems to remember which service you previously used when sending future messages. Awesome.

Kev

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.