GM Volt Forum banner

2 Days with my new Volt.... Can I get any more excited?!?!

6K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Sc0rPs 
#1 ·
So yesterday I picked up my new 2014 Volt! I wasn't to happy that the dealership didn't give me a full charge was only at 30miles plus they didn't give me a full tank of gas it was only at 90% filled when I got home :(

On the flip side when I made it home I still had 17 miles of electric left and used 25.2 electric and 2.4 miles of gas! I let it full charge last night on my 110v and this morning I had 39miles of electric since it's cold out I'm guessing the 40miles will come around in the Spring/Summer/Fall... When I drove to work it was 8 degrees I had the seat warmers on at level 1 and the defrosters on level 2. I made it work with 19 miles to spare of electric....

On this charge I'm averaging 123mpg WHAT!!!!! This is crazy!! :D None of my family believe the gas millage so I take a few snapshots to show the read outs... It's going to be fun driving past the Gas Stations this summer that is for sure

I did a little math as of right now in the cold if I use 4 miles of gas a day and the tank is at 250 miles of gas I wont be stopping into the gas station for another 62.5 days.... UMMM CAN I GET A BIG HELL YA! :cool:

If this is how it's going to be in the winter I will be loving this car till I have turn it back in I'm over excited on how great it did today in the cold def went above what I thought it was going to be.

Can it get any better then this?!?!?

See less See more
#3 ·
For your commute (depending on your personal sense of masochism) you may find that the 35° ERDTT setpoint works better overall.

As you've seen, it doesn't use a lot of gas and it does extend the effective battery range a lot.

You'll find the battery range dives quite a bit once you're using electric heat.

Enjoy the experimentation.

#4 ·
You'll find the battery range dives quite a bit once you're using electric heat.
I def noticed it dropped almost 9/10 miles in a matter of maybe 15 min's because of the defrosters and seat warmers but once I was on the road for a while it kinda slowed down a little bit like I said I was at a 39 mile charge made it to work with 19 miles left my commute in a normal non electric car is 19 miles so yea I think this might work out... Lets just see what happens tomorrow looking like -5 for the low :(.

Hey as long as I can get round trip in the winter with just electric miles and going on barley any gas miles I'll be one happy customer!

#7 ·
So yesterday I picked up my new 2014 Volt! I...On this charge I'm averaging 123mpg WHAT!!!!! This is crazy!! :D None of my family believe the gas millage...... It's going to be fun driving past the Gas Stations ..
I....the gas station for another 62.5 days.......Can it get any better then this?!?!?
congratulations on getting your volt.
yes, the daily smile does get better.
Enjoy your Volt- Plug it in when you can- drive it when you want to....

poke at the accelerator pedal some time to widen that smile--- this is a Great car...

#8 ·
So yesterday I picked up my new 2014 Volt! I wasn't to happy that the dealership didn't give me a full charge was only at 30miles plus they didn't give me a full tank of gas it was only at 90% filled when I got home :(
I don't know how much fuel that you actually have in yours, but just to note - I've seen mine say anywhere from 85% to FULL for the same amount of gas (not even maintenance runs between those).

#9 ·
Hmm interesting so your saying there could be a issue with the gas meters on the car? Little confused on your post.

#12 ·
With respect to climate settings, you'll do well to use the combo windshield and floor duct setting whenever possible for keeping the windshield clear.

The defrost is very effective but it takes a lot of energy.

In the afternoons I use the face level vents to keep my hands warm.

#14 ·
I'll give it a shot when I go home and tomorrow morning!

Thanks!

#13 ·
I don't pay very much attention to my gas tank. I know all cars will register different levels, depending on whether the car is pointed uphill or downhill, etc., so it probably isn't anything to be concerned about.

The seat heaters don't use much energy. Be sure to use them more than the blower if you want to extend your electric range. No matter what you do with your Volt, you are sure to get fuel efficiency that drivers of gas guzzlers will find hard to believe. Enjoy it!

#15 ·
My Aunt is in the market for a new car told her about the Volt and the MPG I was getting yesterday and was blown away haha

#16 ·
In all fairness to your dealer, a nearly-full gas tank is nothing to be unhappy about and about the charge, we all know that the mileage indicated when you first drive away with your new Volt means NOTHING. Was your battery stack solid green? That is a better indicator of charge level.

#19 ·
The sales man called me to follow up on how I liked it so far today. I told him my concerns and he said that the next time I come in they will top me off at 100% for gas free of charge. He said since they only have Unleaded on the lot they have to send someone out to go get Premium with cash and well he said there is a good chance that they only got what they could get with the money they had...

SO all in all they are taking care of me which is great to see.

The battery color I don't recall looked green to me haha didn't really pay attention if it was a "Solid Green"

#18 ·
Can it get any better then this?!?!?
It can. It will. You still have some settling in to do before you realize all of the benefits. When you go back to an ICE car for some reason (loaner, friend's car, rental on a trip, whatever) after a few weeks of driving theVolt, then you'll really start to appreciate what a revolutionary difference it is, as you begin to see all the things the Volt doesn't do. :)

#20 ·
Well my full day of driving from work to home has came to a end and this is my experience for the first full day.

I had a total charge of 39 miles, the temp when I left my house was 8 degrees my drive to my work is 19.8 miles surface streets. When I got to work I had a total of 19 miles left on electric miles. When I left I almost made it all the way on electric I was only 1/2 mile away from my driveway when it went over to gas.

All in all for being how cold it was I feel it was a great overall drive I'm very excited and def went above what I thought it was going to perform in the cold!

We shall see how it does tomorrow in -5 degrees!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.