GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Awaiting the arrival of our second EV/ICE car (Chrysler Pacifica), and trying to decide on the best EVSE route. I have one 40amp circuit run to the garage currently, and I'm leaning towards leaving it that way. Mostly because the fuse box is full, and I'm guessing our service would need an upgrade too.

Given that, I'm leaning towards the Clipper Creek Share2 HCS-40, but for the price I kind of expected more - for example, the ability to tell it Car 1 is leaving for work at 5am, Car 2 at 8:30am, make sure they're charged in that order... instead of just a split charge until one is full.

I'm guessing I'll be happy with it, but figured I'd ask here to see if you guys have a better suggestion.

·
Registered
419 Posts
The Volt has a 3300 watt charger while the Pacifica has a 6600 watt charger so you're looking at a draw of 16A and 32A, respectively. So yes, having them both on together through that circuit would blow the 40A breaker. You'd have to add another 240VAC circuit, which would be very expensive, especially if your service needed an upgrade to cope...

As to 2-vehicle Level 2 chargers my only suggestion is to keep digging. I don't see anything obviously better myself. You could use the charging system timer in the Volt (not sure about the Pacifica), but that could be a management nightmare!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Current gen Tesla HPWCs have sharing functionality, configurable amperage, and a good price. You would need to replace the connectors with standard J1772, but it’s fairly straightforward if you’re good with wiring. Or someone might sell them already converted.

As for controlling the order of charging, you should be doing that using the car’s time-of-use settings. GM cars can do that, not sure about FCA.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
637 Posts
Charge the Chrysler on 240 on the 40a, and the volt on 120 on a different outlet.

·
Registered
419 Posts
To add to my post above: because the Pacifica has a 6600 watt charger it will FULLY charge in just over 2 hours, and the Volt in 4.5 hours. I cannot see the problem using that Clipper Creek because it will only take a MAXIMUM of 6.5 hours to fully charge BOTH vehicles. I doubt whether you would ever need more time than that - unless of course you get home every day at midnight and leave for work at 6AM ;-)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To add to my post above: because the Pacifica has a 6600 watt charger it will FULLY charge in just over 2 hours, and the Volt in 4.5 hours. I cannot see the problem using that Clipper Creek because it will only take a MAXIMUM of 6.5 hours to fully charge BOTH vehicles. I doubt whether you would ever need more time than that - unless of course you get home every day at midnight and leave for work at 6AM ;-)
Yeah, but for $1500 I just want more stuff to tinker with :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Current gen Tesla HPWCs have sharing functionality, configurable amperage, and a good price. You would need to replace the connectors with standard J1772, but it’s fairly straightforward if you’re good with wiring. Or someone might sell them already converted.

As for controlling the order of charging, you should be doing that using the car’s time-of-use settings. GM cars can do that, not sure about FCA.
Thanks, I'll have to check it out, but I'd rather manage it via the EVSE than the vehicle.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Get a CC-20 for the Pacifica. Convert the Volt to 240v using an adapter (or buy two CCs). Install a sub-panel on the 40-amp feed with two 20-amp circuits. Charge them both at once. No timers needed.

Or, replace the 40-amp feed with a 60-amp feed. Install a sub-panel with one 40-amp and one 20-amp circuit.

Or, free up space in the main panel by using half-size breakers. Run a 20-amp circuit for Volt and use the 40-amp for the Pacifica.

Since the word ‘guessing ‘ is in the description of the electrical system, it might be a good idea to consult a licensed electrician before making any decisions.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I would convert the stock Volt EVSE to 240 or get a cheap 240 charger of the type that are finally available now, and if you can, put in a second 40 amp line. We have 2 Volts and have 2 40 Amp lines that charge both simultaneously. Overkill for the Volts, but we will have other EVs in the future and wanted 32 amps for them. I doubt in the future EVs will come with less than 6.6 kw chargers....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
907 Posts
The HCS-40 Share 2 model will split the power to each car, if both engage charging at once, so should work as you want. When both are charging, 16A is available to each. Volt will always get full power. If Volt is not charging, or when Volt finishes, the Share 2 will signal to Pacifica to step up to 32A max. Automagically!

You can always set Volt for delayed charging at specific times. Probably Pacifica too, although I don't know there.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
The HCS-40 Share 2 model will split the power to each car, if both engage charging at once, so should work as you want. When both are charging, 16A is available to each. Volt will always get full power. If Volt is not charging, or when Volt finishes, the Share 2 will signal to Pacifica to step up to 32A max. Automagically!

You can always set Volt for delayed charging at specific times. Probably Pacifica too, although I don't know there.
Got to hand it to Clipper Creek for innovation on this. Perfect for splitting charge for two Volts or other 16 amp charging cars. If we get a third higher power charging car and still have the Volts this would be a great way to use our two 40 amp lines. I'll remember this..... thanks

Sent from my A3-A30 using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts