GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm new here - we just got a 2014 Volt!

Tonight we are planning on driving from Portland to Bend Oregon for a weekend of skiing.

I calculated the cost of driving our Volt vs driving our Tacoma. It was $25 vs $97 for the roundtrip, including two drives from Sunriver -> Mt. Bachelor. Gotta love it!

We will leave our house with a full charge, but I wondered if anyone has any input on when we should consume our EV charge. I plotted the route in Google Earth and came up with the attached elevation profile. My thoughts are either use the EV right from the start when its flat (though we will be on the freeway), or use the EV charge after we pass the peak (Santiam Pass). What about mountain mode? When should that be used?

Any thoughts? Screen Shot 2014-01-17 at 1.45.34 PM.jpg

·
4,852 Posts
My opinion?

For simplicity, use Mountain Mode until you're over that peak, then transition to Normal mode. That will ensure you use all your battery before arriving, and have enough charge in reserves for that large peak/climb.

For your return trip, (right to left on the graph), I would leave it in Normal mode the whole way.

In most scenarios, you really don't need to "game" the system to get great efficiency, so this should work out well for you (again, IMHO)

·
Registered
435 Posts
When you go up, use D and mountain mode. When you come down, use L. On highway speeds above 50 mph, use L and Hold Mode. Before taking an exit that leads off the highway, use Normal Mode and L.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I live in Portland and I drive to Sunriver all the time (but not in my Volt yet). I usually take highway 26/97. But after a year of driving the Volt, and one trip to Mt Hood last year, my recommendation would be to use about half the battery in the city at the beginning of your trip, switch to Hold, then when you approach the pass, place it into mountain mode. Once you get through the pass, put it back to normal.

The one time I drove to Mt Hood, I depleted the battery, and then 30 minutes from the mountain, I placed it in mountain mode. The battery charged up to about half. But as I was climbing the mountain all the way to Timberline Lodge, I used almost none of the charge. The engine was able to keep up, even though it is a steep climb and there was little traffic to slow me down. I believe I would have used less fuel by not having the engine charge the battery as much as it did.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Electric is best at lower speeds. The battery depletes faster at higher speeds so by using Hold mode or Mountain mode during high speed and/or steep climbs, you preserve the battery charge for the lower speed maneuvering in town. You don't really need to play with the modes to get great mileage though. The engineers did a really good job of getting the car to make maximum use of every drop of fuel it consumes. If you like playing with buttons, go for it. If you get annoyed with too much fiddling with buttons, just drive the car. Either way, you won't change the total cost of the trip by more than a couple bucks.

·
Registered
473 Posts
That's not a very steep climb considering the distance, you probably could just drive in normal and not have a problem. But for me, any time I know I'll significantly exceed the EV range I use Mountain mode for the whole trip so that I always have a reserve of battery to use as I desire. I also always drive in L. I've made several 4-8000 foot climbs like this.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
On trips, I use "L + Sport". Oh wait, I do that all the time!

My advice is to just drive and enjoy the journey. Volt will handle the details.

"See the USA in your Chevrolet"!

·
Registered
508 Posts
I prefer to run the engine on the highway at 50+ mph. You can't really tell that it is running at highway speeds. This saves the battery for low speed and stop-start driving where the engine would run just like a normal hybrid. This is annoying after you have been spoiled by EV driving.

GSP

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Two Mode Cruise Control

I'd do the trip in Hold and save the charge for showing off your EV around town at your destination!
You didn't say if you could plugin while there.

Keep in mind using L for the return trip puts your cruise control in a 2nd mode where it will maintain your set speed on the descents.
This is the only good thing about driving in L. (Here we go,, hehe...)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts