GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking everywhere for a set of 17" steel wheels to use for my winter tires, and so far have come up pretty much empty handed. I wanted to stay OE, but the only 17" steel wheels I could find that looked close are the 2014-2016 Impala W-body police package wheels. They're 17x7 with a 5x115 bolt pattern but they're very hard to find.

My search led to these babies:

https://www.jegs.com/i/Cragar/260/83-7718/10002/-1

17x7, 5x115 bolt pattern, +38MM offset just like stock. With the online coupon and free shipping, these come in at $46.99/ea, which is a crazy good deal. Can anyone see an issue with these? If not, they'll probably be on the truck before the end of the week for that price.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
717 Posts
I'm sure you know this, but in case not: you can use 16" on Volt for winter steelies.

·
Administrator
20,444 Posts
I used to use steelies on previous car's, but for the Volt I bought aluminum wheels from TireRack. They were $99 each, came with the TPMS and tires mounted, balanced, ready to bolt on the car. Yes, twice the price, but they look nice. I suspect they are a bit lighter than the steel wheels as well. Just the snow tires alone will knock off about 5 miles from battery range.

·
Registered
13,925 Posts
I bought custom wheels from TireRack.com and used my OEMs rims for my snows. I even went so far as to add 18" rims, a new set of Yokohama Avid Ascends, and a new set of TPMS. I know this is significantly more than steelies, but you need tires (eventually) and a second set of TPMS anyway, so the difference between steelies and custom wheels really isn't that much, plus the change in look was well worth it to me.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought custom wheels from TireRack.com and used my OEMs rims for my snows. I even went so far as to add 18" rims, a new set of Yokohama Avid Ascends, and a new set of TPMS. I know this is significantly more than steelies, but you need tires (eventually) and a second set of TPMS anyway, so the difference between steelies and custom wheels really isn't that much, plus the change in look was well worth it to me.
I might consider going to a different size later, for now my stock 17's are in great shape so I plan on removing those before winter and cleaning them up really well while I have them off. The summer tires are practically brand new, as are the snows so I won't be buying tires for several years.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
717 Posts
If I had a set of 17" winter tires that needed wheels, I'd buy used OEM Impala (etc) aluminum wheels off kijiji/craigslist. Should be the same or less money than new steel.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I had a set of 17" winter tires that needed wheels, I'd buy used OEM Impala (etc) aluminum wheels off kijiji/craigslist. Should be the same or less money than new steel.
I keep watching the ad's, but every time I find something the person wants stupid money for them. I'm not paying $50 a wheel for crummy, used aluminum.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts