GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to nuclearboy Jrs. (or as I should call him, "nuclear accident") driving our 2014 too close to the curb, I have had the opportunity to buy another rim for our Volt. A refurbished wheel arrived today so I decided to weigh it.

17.75 +/- 0.1 Lbs (no stem, no center cap, no TPS) for the bare rim.

I weighed it with a scale that has proven to be fairly accurate with a range of items I have tested so I added my estimated uncertainty.

New Rim
whl1.jpg

damaged rim (thanks Jr.)
whl2.jpg

1 handed poor IQ photo of weighing the wheel
whl3.jpg

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scale was set to zero with bungee cord and then the wheel was added. I use this scale all the time for bikes using the same approach. I have had the opportunity to compare it to other more expensive scales and it has proven to be very accurate.

·
Administrator
19,982 Posts

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
My only complaint with aftermarket wheels and tires is they are heavy in comparison. I really like how light the factory setup is, even the LRR tires are far lighter. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Might I ask what you paid? I rashed one of mine a little a while back.
HH Auto Wheel and Trim
Shipping: Free Shipping to Contiguous USA Only: $0.00
Sales Tax: $0.00
Total: $149.95

I thought this was a great deal. That included shipping too! Arrived in 3 days.

I checked ebay and some were selling wheels in this price range (or more) that were clearly used. Many scratches, minor scuffs, etc. This place sells refurbished wheels that are guaranteed to balance. They sell to body shops, etc.

They are used wheels that are cleaned up and repainted. The finish looks perfect to me.

Here is a link.

http://www.hubcaphaven.com/

I called them before ordering and they answered some questions for me on the phone. I can definitely recommend these guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts