GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2012 Chevy volt. I’m looking to purchase a level 2 charger that I can plug into the 220 V outlet in my garage. The 32 amp level 2 chargers are more expensive. My question is, can the generation 1 Volt even handle of a 32 amp charge? Am I be better off just getting the 16 amp? Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information and for excusing my lack of knowledge. On a related topic, am I good to charge on a level 2 the majority of the time? Does it shorten the life of the battery? Should I only charge on a level 2 when I’m in a time crunch? Thanks again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. I have one other question. My employer wants me to reimburse them for charging at work. I’m new to all this but do I simply keep track of the kWh used to recharge the battery and multiply it by the cost per kWh? I think the average in our area is .12 per kWh. Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. I will look into the kilowatt meter. Also, this is the first I’ve heard of the “distribution charge.” Is this something that is on both connercial and residential bills. This is disappointing to me because I did all of my math calculations for savings based on kWh used x $.12

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My electric service is provided by a semi-rural power co-op. The monthly bill consists of 3 tems:

Basic Service Charge
KWH usage
Taxes

The Basic charge is the same no matter the usage, and no matter whether I have an electric car. I pay that to just get the power into the house. It was there before I ever bought the Volt.

The only impact the Volt has on my electric bill is the extra KWH used over and above my house usage and the added tax on that usage. I don't factor the basic charge into the Volt operating cost because it would remain on the bill with, or without, the Volt usage. If the Volt power was via a separate metered account, then it would be included in the Volt costs.

At that point I consider the actual Volt power cost to be just the KWH use and taxes. KWH rates vary slightly through the year – between 11.5 and 12 cents. I also get 10% off during the summer months because I have my AC on a peak demand discount program.
Very helpful. Thank you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts