GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
We got our daughter a 2012 Volt in July. Now the leaves are starting to change color here and it's time to think of winter rims and tires. I've read on the forum 16" rims will work and clear the calipers. I've found Cragar 83-66518 wheels at Jegs for $47 each including shipping. Any comments?

How about 205 65 16 winter tires. They might add a bit more clearance, or 205 60 16 any comments?

Will the stock lug bolts work with steel rims or do we need different ones?

thanks

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
636 Posts
Only SOME 16s will clear the calipers. You need to get a wheel that will fit, choose one that the supplier states fitment, or copy what others on here have used. On my 16s that are off a Buick, I added a 3mm billet spacer to give me a little more clearance. Use a tire height calculator to match your 16s to the stock 17s. I wouldn't go taller, it will mess up the odometer/GOM.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Gen1 Volt EU owner's manual lists 205/60R16 as a possible winter tire size. I have such tires with aftermarket alloy wheels. Works for me, but speedometer error is increased a bit.

I've seen NA spec Volt owners report that their speedometers are spot-on with the stock 17 inch tires, but my EU spec car seems a bit off even with them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Recently went through this odyssey for my gen2. After days of research, trying to find a more affordable solution, I ended up getting the TireRack alternate recommendation (16x6.5 ET38 steelies with 205/60R16's). The set was 30% more expensive than for my Prius :(

I don't know why but the OEM tire size of 215/50R17 is outrageously expensive. Smaller and bigger tires are considerably cheaper. I'm guessing it's just a low-volume size?

Anyways, I considered new OEM alloys, used OEM alloys (from sonic/cruze/etc) and tires, 16" alloys, the 16" steelies, and 15" alloys, and varying tire sizes for each.... The 205/55R15 tires were by far the cheapest option, but I wasn't pleased with the positive offset on the rims I could find (6+ mm IIRC) and fear that the clearance might be so tight that ice or road debris could cause problems. I was probably too paranoid on both of those accounts. I also really like the way the car drives on the OEM rims and tires and didn't want to stray too far from those values.

Anyhow, I found this website to be very helpful in vetting wheel/tire combinations:

https://www.wheel-size.com

FWIW I ended up with Michelin X-Ice because our winters have long dry stretches, not to mention road trips "off the hill" to warmer and drier territory. We keep Blizzak WS80 on our other car (Subaru).

·
Registered
174 Posts
Recently went through this odyssey for my gen2. After days of research, trying to find a more affordable solution, I ended up getting the TireRack alternate recommendation (16x6.5 ET38 steelies with 205/60R16's). The set was 30% more expensive than for my Prius :(

I don't know why but the OEM tire size of 215/50R17 is outrageously expensive. Smaller and bigger tires are considerably cheaper. I'm guessing it's just a low-volume size?

Anyways, I considered new OEM alloys, used OEM alloys (from sonic/cruze/etc) and tires, 16" alloys, the 16" steelies, and 15" alloys, and varying tire sizes for each.... The 205/55R15 tires were by far the cheapest option, but I wasn't pleased with the positive offset on the rims I could find (6+ mm IIRC) and fear that the clearance might be so tight that ice or road debris could cause problems. I was probably too paranoid on both of those accounts. I also really like the way the car drives on the OEM rims and tires and didn't want to stray too far from those values.

Anyhow, I found this website to be very helpful in vetting wheel/tire combinations:

https://www.wheel-size.com

FWIW I ended up with Michelin X-Ice because our winters have long dry stretches, not to mention road trips "off the hill" to warmer and drier territory. We keep Blizzak WS80 on our other car (Subaru).
If you are thinking 15" you better try one on your front hub before buying. As far as I know there are none that will clear your calipers. Cadillac 16" wheels with stick on weights clear by about 1/8 inch, but some of them rub the caliper with the web of the wheel. 1/8 th" thick spacers take care of that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't think a 15" rim would fit and certainly won't be looking for a 15" rim. I was wondering if anyone has used the Cragar 83-66518 steel rims successfully, 16 6.5 115mm bolt pattern 41mm offset. It's just a matter of clearing the front calipers. Using the wheel size website a 195 65 16 is closer to a 215 55 17 in diameter then a 205 60 16. I've found a narrower winter tire is fine if you don't push it when driving on dry pavement. They actually have less resistance and better traction in deeper snow. It's my daughter's car so it's her final call. thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So I ordered a Cragar 83-66518 from Summit Racing $52+change including shipping. Yesterday we tried it on our daughter's 12 Volt front and it cleared the caliper. I just ordered 3 more for $136+ delivered from SR, they included a $20 off coupon with the 1st wheel good on the next order over $99.

The TPMS valve stems came from Amazon for about $18 each. Now We're looking for tires. We've been using General Altimax Arctics on our VW EGolf and our Passat TDI and are very happy with them. I'll check with our local repair shop to see what they offer. I found 4-205 60 16 Arctics on Ebay for $316 delivered. seems like a good price

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I have the General Altimax Artics on my 16" steelies from TireRack for my Volt '16, and they're fine. I've had Blizzaks and Michelin Ice3 on other vehicles, and there's no noticeable difference to me. If the Gen1 wan't different than the Gen2, I'd have offered to sell you mine for cheap, since I'm trading in my Volt for a Tesla Model 3 very soon.
So I ordered a Cragar 83-66518 from Summit Racing $52+change including shipping. Yesterday we tried it on our daughter's 12 Volt front and it cleared the caliper. I just ordered 3 more for $136+ delivered from SR, they included a $20 off coupon with the 1st wheel on orders over $99.

The TPMS valve stems came from Amazon for about $18 each. Now We're looking for tires. We've been using General Altimax Arctics on our VW EGolf and our Passat TDI and are very happy with them. I'll check with our local repair shop to see what they offer. I found 4-205 60 16 Arctics on Ebay for $316 delivered. seems like a good price

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
have fun with the 3, I saw one for the 1st time today on I93. We love our eGolf for our local trips, we had considered a Volt but decided almost 3 years our 2nd car would be a BEV and got a super deal on the 15 Egolf SEL.

Are your Arctics studded?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Up here in the White Mts and living on a back road we have ours studded for the Vdubs but I suggested to my daughter unstudded would be fine, she lives near Burlington VT

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Saturday we put the Altimax Arctics om my daughter's Volt. She drove in some snow on the way over to here with the "all seasons" and wasn't at all impressed. The total for Cragar steel wheels, Delco TPMS, and studded Arctics mounted and balanced was just under $700. We put them on at home and flushed the brake fluid at the same time. I know the owners manual says 150K/10 years but I'm old school and DOT3 fluid is cheap. Spending time with my daughter working on her car "priceless"!

·
Administrator
20,200 Posts
I ended up getting the TireRack alternate recommendation (16x6.5 ET38 steelies with 205/60R16's).
I got the same for my Bolt EV but with the Blizzak WS80's. Ordered Thursday, arrived Saturday morning with TPMS, balanced, ready to bolt on sometime in December or so. Last year my wife drove my Volt (also with snow tires) on snow days. This winter, she'll have her own.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts