GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wow Wow Wow,

Some of my coworkers tried to pressure me into buying a VW diesel, saying that I would get more range out of a tank of diesel and buying a Volt to do long commutes would be a waste. Always wanted a Volt and it was more about owning an electric car than buying a dirty diesel and saving money on fuel.
I am completely in shock. I never thought I could get the range out of the tank in the Volt.

I have hit 1500km on the original fuel from the dealer and still have 30% left.

Forget every argument for or against the volt. That raw number impresses me and should impress skeptics. Even family members that make comments like "hope you bought a long enough extension cord" or "I couldn't drive a slow car like that" were impressed by one, the acceleration and two when I told them how far I have gone on a tank so far.

For the record I drive 134kms + daily, mostly all hwy. I do hit heavy traffic near the end of my commute getting into the city.

I really want to see if I can hit 2000km

UPDATE: I ended up hitting 1837 kms before refueling. I had 136 kms of total range left over.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Nothing like real world testimonials. I have extracted a wee bit more gas mileage from my Volt's by always running my tires at least 2 PSI OVER the recommended PSI and I always change the oil out to Mobil 1 FULL synthetic.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I have hit 1500km on the original fuel from the dealer and still have 30% left.

For the record I drive 134kms + daily, mostly all hwy. I do hit heavy traffic near the end of my commute getting into the city.

I really want to see if I can hit 2000km
Do you have numbers for mpg and miles/kWh so far? Great to hear the Volt is working out for your commute.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Nice job of pointing out that most driving is local. If you don't do a lot of long trips it shouldn't be too difficult to get 300-400 kilometers on a gallon of gas. Most don't realize just how far you can go on a tank if you're getting even 150.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Our 2016 Volt Premier with a full charge and full gas tank is displaying 460 miles total range. Also diesel fuel up here in Northwestern Oregon is $2.879 / gal. Reg. gas at Costco is $2.479 / gal. Also the extra added cost of adding 3-5 gal's of Urea every few thousand miles is not going to save you any money in the long run as well, so where is the savings with the diesel.

Last few trips just on gas have been over 50 mpg as well. I doubt if a diesel would have done much better under the same conditions than our Volt running just on the gas engine. Of course the extra 45-65 miles, depending on weather conditions (winter-summer) just on electric is a bonus. Full charge with all cost is about $1.80 (16KWH). In my opinion Volt wins, VW diesel, not so much....

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yep, I've had my 2014 volt for about 2.5 months. I've used 4.7 gallons of gas and gone almost 2700 miles. I'm sure I'll be using gas faster once the cold weather hits, but so far, I haven't even opened the gas door yet. The previous owner did pretty good too, so my lifetime is up to 228 mpg, and the car is at over 86% EV miles so far.
https://www.voltstats.net/Stats/Details/10288

1 - 7 of 7 Posts