GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
DSC04041.jpg
We had the chance to compare mpg of non plug-in Toyota Prius and Chevrolet Volt during the same trip of 100 miles. Both car are really fuel efficient especially when we drive slow. It takes more than 100 miles to beat the volt on fuel efficiency and total energy including electricity... We began the trip at about 50 mph and ended it in the city at about 40 mph. Our average speed including traffic lights and stops was 32 mph. See the video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTop5OQwRyQ

I would be curious to do the same comparison at a steady 60 or 75 mph. According to our weekly 100 miles trip, at 50 to 60 mph it should be around 75 mpg with the Volt and 55 mpg with the Prius. I did not tried a lot 75 mph with the Volt...

·
Registered
219 Posts
In a long distance commute over a hundred miles using gasoline prius will win when it comes to fuel efficient versus my volt. The point of owning a volt, daily commuting driving less than 50miles round trip the volt will only used electric and no gasoline. The prius will always need gasoline! At the moment Electricity is way cheaper than Gasoline.

1,214 Posts
Hmmmmmmm-

Hmmmmm- Your little non-scientific study is interesting. Very interesting-

I have often read of teams of prius drivers competing on Saturday Hypermileing events to elk out every mile the could out of a gallon of gas, even pushing the car down a hill, engine off, then jumping in!

Now for a disection of your OP.

"[...]78 mpg with a 2010 Prius[...]"

I will leave it up to the members of this forum to discuss the above quote from your OP. Me, I will just post the results found on FuelEconomy.gov that show the results of 180 Prius Hybrid Owners that took the time to brag up their overall fuel economy.

While 49.3 was the average of this sample of over 179 owners, NOT ONE HIT YOUR CASUALLY STATED CLAIM ABOVE-

http://fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=yourMpgVehicle&id=26425

Hmmmmmmm-

For me, now, after almost 18 months of robust, daily, city and interstate driving, in "L", with my Amazing Chevy Volt Extended Range Electric Vehicle, now at 20,595 total miles driven of which 20,595.84 have been ALL ELECTRIC!

Hit the 20,000 all electric club!

Might have used just over 22 gallons of gas in this total time!

Source- Volt Stats

http://www.voltstats.net/Stats/Details/1068

Best-

Thomas J. Thias

Sundance Chevrolet Inc.

517-622-6081

Twitter- @AmazingChevVolt ( View Pictures- No membership needed )

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
For me, my commute on occasion is 140 miles but i can plug in when I am the parking garage. I use about 1.15-1.2 gallons in the summer for that commute so by plugging in on a long commute, it is more than double a Prius mpg and nearly double a PiP.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Thomas,

We did some hypermiling by avoiding high speed. For the last 5 months, my average with our Chevy Volt, for the rest of the trips once the battery is depleted (in CS) is about 47 mpg. http://www.voltstats.net/Stats/Details/2855 It is also better than EPA numbers.

Once, we did with the Volt 65 mpg (for the CS part only, this is exceptional too) with 115 mpg over a distance of 115 miles. That time, my friend with the 2010 Prius did 71 mpg. We did not go over 50 mph, avoiding freeway.

Cheers,

Dominique

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hmmmmm- Your little non-scientific study is interesting. Very interesting-

I have often read of teams of prius drivers competing on Saturday Hypermileing events to elk out every mile the could out of a gallon of gas, even pushing the car down a hill, engine off, then jumping in!

Now for a disection of your OP.

"[...]78 mpg with a 2010 Prius[...]"

I will leave it up to the members of this forum to discuss the above quote from your OP. Me, I will just post the results found on FuelEconomy.gov that show the results of 180 Prius Hybrid Owners that took the time to brag up their overall fuel economy.

While 49.3 was the average of this sample of over 179 owners, NOT ONE HIT YOUR CASUALLY STATED CLAIM ABOVE-

http://fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=yourMpgVehicle&id=26425

Hmmmmmmm-

For me, now, after almost 18 months of robust, daily, city and interstate driving, in "L", with my Amazing Chevy Volt Extended Range Electric Vehicle, now at 20,595 total miles driven of which 20,595.84 have been ALL ELECTRIC!

Hit the 20,000 all electric club!

Might have used just over 22 gallons of gas in this total time!

Source- Volt Stats

http://www.voltstats.net/Stats/Details/1068

Best-

Thomas J. Thias

Sundance Chevrolet Inc.

517-622-6081

Twitter- @AmazingChevVolt ( View Pictures- No membership needed )
The OP was referring to a single trip. Not an entire tank nor a lifetime average. If you had done a bit more research you would have found the record mpg for a Prius is 118mpg+. I run a Top 20 list on PriusChat and my best tank (700+miles) at 71mpg only gets me to 16th place. This is just for PriusChat members. There are likely thousands of other hypermilers who do even better.

1. ufourya (Prius c) 501.1 miles @ 99.9mpg / avg. speed 19mph
    bwilson4web (GenIII) 1000.8 miles @ 91.8 /avg. speed 22mph
    vincent1449p (Prius c) 871.8 miles @ 90.7mpg / avg. speed 28mph
    Ferls80 (GenIII) 750 miles @ 81.1mpg / avg. speed 25mph
    CHACHYONTOP (Prius c) 607.9 miles @ 81.1mpg / avg. speed 26mph
    Mark57 (GenIII) 805.2 miles @ 79.3mpg / avg. speed 22mph
    markabele (GenIII) 818.7miles @ 79.1mpg / avg. speed 24mph
    Kore971 (GenIII on 17s) 830.9miles @ 78.0mpg / avg. speed 28mph
    kalome (GenIII) 703.6 miles @ 77.3mpg / avg. speed 27mph
    nfujii (GenIII) 550.9 miles @ 76.0mpg / avg. speed 21mph
    kdkuhns3 (GenIII) 703.1miles @ 75.1mpg / avg. speed 23mph
    mozdzen (GenIII) 701.9 miles @ 73.5mpg / avg. speed 30mph
    walter lee (GenIII) 800.1miles @ 73.4mpg / avg. speed 19mph
    hcpc(Prius c) 548.9 miles @ 73.3 / avg. speed 31mph
    Tony Schaefer (GenII) 662 miles @ 72.2mpg
    F8L (GenIII) 702.5 miles @ 71.7mpg / avg. speed 37mph
    Codyroo (GenIII) 752.3 miles @ 71.3mpg / avg. speed 35mph
    MattPersman (GenIII) 531.5 miles @ 70.6mpg / avg. speed 25mph
    Agent J (GenII) 808.7 miles @ 70.21mpg
    Optical Illusions (Prius c) 582.1 miles @ 69.4mpg / avg. speed 25mph

Read more: http://priuschat.com/threads/top-20-mpg-record-holders.112709/#ixzz2dzUVUxvH
Follow us: @PriusChat on Twitter | PriusChat on Facebook

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
If you tried that crap in Texas, a duelly diesel pickup would squash both y'all.

A single trip does not prove anything. Do a real comparison over several months of normal driving.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
You can just do this with a equation. For the Volt and Prius range to be equal, you'd need X Gallons * 50 Miles/Gallon = 40 Miles + X Gallons * 40 Miles/Gallon. Solve for X and you get 4 Gallons. So basically the break point is 200 miles. The other way to look at this is that if you have a 10 MPG advantage how many gallons will you need to use in order to make up for 40 miles? If you drive slowly as on the City Cycle use the numbers from those cycles. If you drive faster make an adjustment. You can use any numbers you want.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
The main issue I have with this is that, in order to achieve 78 MPG in a Prius, even on a single trip, the driver has to be an experienced (or, at least, good) hypermiler. Because of the difference in drivetrains, layouts, and functionality, hypermiling a Volt is much different than hypermiling a Prius. Just because you are good at one doesn't necessarily mean that you will be good at the other. Without hypermiling my Volt, I am seeing similar CS mileage to the OP, and that is with more than 50% of my driving at 65-70 MPH freeway speeds.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
This is news for those who travel long distances. But I am one of millions who travel less than 40 miles a day (I travel less than that all week). So for us, the best vehicle is a BEV, and for now only the Chevy Spark EV fulfills our needs to travel and use no gas at all.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The main issue I have with this is that, in order to achieve 78 MPG in a Prius, even on a single trip, the driver has to be an experienced (or, at least, good) hypermiler. Because of the difference in drivetrains, layouts, and functionality, hypermiling a Volt is much different than hypermiling a Prius. Just because you are good at one doesn't necessarily mean that you will be good at the other. Without hypermiling my Volt, I am seeing similar CS mileage to the OP, and that is with more than 50% of my driving at 65-70 MPH freeway speeds.
Agreed. The Prius and hybrids like it as easier to hypermile because of the inherent design of the vehicle. Being able to switch off the ICE or enter a glide with a slight adjustment of pedal pressure is nice. The Volt doesn't allow you to do this.

The nice thing about the Volt is you don't have to hypermile to achieve excellent results.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts