GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the 12V battery being charged when the EVSE is plugged in? The reason I ask is because I'm thinking of getting one of those camera/review mirrors that run on an internal rechargeable battery. The charging adapter plugs into 12V socket (top compartment) and I would connect it up to recharge when I am recharging the traction battery but don't want to be draining the 12V battery if it isn't getting power from the EVSE/traction battery when that is being charged. It might not be that much of a drain on the 12V battery but I don't want to take any chances as the 12V is crucial when starting car.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
Is the 12V battery being charged when the EVSE is plugged in? The reason I ask is because I'm thinking of getting one of those camera/review mirrors that run on an internal rechargeable battery. The charging adapter plugs into 12V socket (top compartment) and I would connect it up to recharge when I am recharging the traction battery but don't want to be draining the 12V battery if it isn't getting power from the EVSE/traction battery when that is being charged. It might not be that much of a drain on the 12V battery but I don't want to take any chances as the 12V is crucial when starting car.
The Volt's 12V accessory ports are only powered for up to 10 minutes after you shut down the Volt or until you open the driver's door. The only way you could run down your 12V battery with an accessory is if you wired directly to the battery or if you found a fuse socket that remained active even after the Volt powered down the 12V systems. The only time the 12V battery is maintained by power from the traction battery is when the Volt is powered on, then the accessory power module (APM) provides up to ~1800 watts of 12V power to the Volt's 12V systems while maintaining the 12V battery. Once the Volt is powered off the APM ceases to provide power to the 12V battery and systems.

When the EVSE is plugged into the Volt the 12V battery will be charged. Depending on the model year the Volt may suspend charging the 12V battery once the traction battery has been fully charged. In the Gen 2 Volt the 12V battery will periodically be charged as long as the Volt is plugged in. The only time you would have to consider a separate 12V battery tender is when storing the Volt for more than 30 days. In that case the Owner's Manual recommends leaving the traction battery at 3 bars (30%) SOC and not leaving the Volt plugged in, charging. The 12V battery could become discharged in this scenario. The manual recommends disconnecting the 12V battery or connecting a battery tender (one specifically designed for maintaining AGM type 12V batteries.)

·
Registered
174 Posts
That socket shuts off after a few minutes, you wouldn't risk draining the 12 volt battery.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts