GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Forum members,
I recently (and unfortunately) had to have hail damage repaired on my 2018 Volt after having owned it for less than a month at the time of the storm. Took the vehicle to one of my insurance company's preferred repair shops for paintless dent repair. Received a text from OnStar this morning that my vehicle theft alarm had been triggered. Contacted the body shop immediately, and was informed that "somehow, the battery went dead, and they had to jump-start the car, then put a charger on it." They charged the drive battery ... but my concern lies with the 12V system now. I know cars these days do funky things when the voltage gets low in the 12V system. Will my 12V battery be okay with it being recharged, or will I be better served by trying to have it replaced by the dealer under warranty ... or paid for by the body shop if required? Haven't even had the car for 2 months yet, and now because of someone else's mistake, might have lingering issues related to the electrical system. My Gen1 Volt is still chugging along with no issues to this date, with proper maintenance followed and car is well taken care of in that regard. Any recommendations as to what I should do in this situation? My first thought it to have the body shop pay for a new 12V battery ...

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
I bet someone left it in service mode. but if you can get them to pay will save you $300

BUT one low voltage condition may be ok for that short a time.
people do that all the time on regular ICE cars and the Volt battery doesn't need all that extra amp hrs.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Have the battery tested at any auto parts store. If it shows bad you can take it to dealer for warranty replacement. If it shows good you have no case.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Here are the possibilities:

The body shop did nothing to cause the 12V battery to fail to start the Volt. The 12V battery may be defective and should be tested, replaced if needed by the dealer. The accessory power module (APM) may be malfunctioning and should be tested. There could also be a loose connection at the 12V battery or at the fuse block that needs to be corrected.

The body shop did not power down the Volt, in that case the Volt will power off automatically after 2.5 hours. This would not cause the 12V battery to be run down.

The body shop put the vehicle into Maintenance Mode, either intentionally or unintentionally. The 12V battery was allowed to run down, then the Volt automatically shut down.

I would not worry about the 12V battery. If the 12V fails within the 36 month Bumper to Bumper (BTB) warranty period it will be replaced under the terms of the BTB.

Advice: pick up an inexpensive USB power adapter with DC Voltage readout on Amazon and leave this plugged into your Volt's accessory port. Learn the APM voltage output range and cycles and also observe the 12V AGM battery voltage when you first power down the Volt, the 12V AGM battery will continue to power the 12V accessories for up to 10 minutes after you shut off the Volt until you open the driver's door. Keep a small 12V lithium battery jump started with the Volt or in your home in case you need to jump start the Volt. Read the Volt Owner's Manual and become familiar with the vehicle access procedure in case the 12V AGM battery is not providing adequate voltage to unlock the Volt and how to jump start the Volt.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
when I was a kid working at a gas station ---story--

We tested a a battery (from a car that would not start or ligh the dome light )
after a full recharge by connecting a 12 volt auto head lamp and recording how long the lamp was on.

We then proved a battery can die twice.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
when I was a kid working at a gas station ---story--

We tested a a battery (from a car that would not start or ligh the dome light )
after a full recharge by connecting a 12 volt auto head lamp and recording how long the lamp was on.

We then proved a battery can die twice.
So, we're dying to know...how long did the light stay on?

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
lets just say this was a step from the old way that tended to do an Annealing process on screwdrivers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I picked up the Volt from the body shop, I noticed that one of the dome lights was turned on, but I thought these cars had battery rundown protection from things like that being left on. Not sure that's what the problem was, but I took it to the dealer anyway, and they assured me that I shouldn't have any 12v electrical system related issues & that the battery looks fine.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
When I picked up the Volt from the body shop, I noticed that one of the dome lights was turned on, but I thought these cars had battery rundown protection from things like that being left on. Not sure that's what the problem was, but I took it to the dealer anyway, and they assured me that I shouldn't have any 12v electrical system related issues & that the battery looks fine.
If you leave the dome light(s) on or forget to fully close the door or the hatch the Volt will turn off these 12V accessory lights after ~25 minutes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you leave the dome light(s) on or forget to fully close the door or the hatch the Volt will turn off these 12V accessory lights after ~25 minutes.
That's what I thought too ... but I've started to wonder if the dome light is turned on, and the doors are opened/closed multiple times during the day (in essence resetting the run-down timer), if the light would in fact drain the 12v battery over an extended period of time. I don't really want to test that theory, but it might be worth looking into and then letting GM/Chevy know of the issue. I'm sure my problem is a very rare one at least, so hopefully nobody else has this kind of issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts