GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am a Chevy Volt owner in Austria/Europe. I just imported the car and I am very proud about it. It is a used one. On arrival everything worked fine, but the car has to go to the customs. After 2 days the 12V battery was empty. Starting with a jump starter gives power on, but shows 2 messages, which were not shown before.
One is: track system error detected and the other is anti theft system failure detected.
Does anyone know how I can reset the these error messages? I think they can come from low battery status, but I need to charge the battery to full level to check on this. Why can the battery discharge, when not in use? Does someone know, how the 12V battery is charged? With the extender engine? with the lithium battery charger?
Thank you in advance for all inputs and comments.

By the way: does anybody know a GM dealer, who is willing to support me while I am in Europe? I will pay for that service, but I need some stuff and maybe some spareparts. So I want to get an additional key for the car and a I need urgent a data printout for the car from the GM database to get it licensed in Austria. If anybody knows a contact or can provide help, I appreciate very much.

Thanks to all of you from a newcomer and have a happy ecodrive!

Kind regards from Austria

Thomas

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Welcome.

12V battery is charged from the Lio-Battery by a voltage converter, and it only charges while the car is powered on. If the 12v battery dies you can get all kinds of errors (DTC or diagnostic trouble codes). Many of these will clear on their own after 2-3 cycles of the associated systems diagnostic (which may require driving). An OBDII device may be able to clear some, but likely not all, of them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for your update and information. I believe, that newcomers have always questions, which does not make sense to people with lot of experience. So thank you again of taking care.
Can there any equipment (OBDII device) be bought in US to read out the errors and clear them - like that one GM dealer use? The original one? How do you upgrade the software in US? Only dealers can do this?
Thank you
Thomas

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Thomas

If after driving for a few days the warning lights are still present, perhaps take it to an Opel dealer and they "should" be able to read and clear any DTCs with a Bosch MDI and GDS2 as these are global dealer tools used world-wide.

Welcome to gm-volt.com

HTH
WopOnTour

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
...12V battery is charged from the Lio-Battery by a voltage converter, and it only charges while the car is powered on...
I believe that the 12v battery is also charged while the traction battery is actively charging. However, once the traction battery is fully charged the 12v battery will not continue to charge even if the car remains plugged in.

KNS

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I believe that the 12v battery is also charged while the traction battery is actively charging. However, once the traction battery is fully charged the 12v battery will not continue to charge even if the car remains plugged in.

KNS

Correct, my bad that I forgot about that.

·
Registered
133 Posts
According to the Chevrolet Austria website, the Austrian Volt dealers are:

Vienna: Bernhard Kandl Auto Sales, 1100 Vienna, Grenzackerstr. 14, 01/60110
Upper Austria: automotive Mairhuber, 4664 Oberweis, August Mairhuber-Str. 1, Phone 07612/62662-0

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
According to the Chevrolet Austria website, the Austrian Volt dealers are:

Vienna: Bernhard Kandl Auto Sales, 1100 Vienna, Grenzackerstr. 14, 01/60110
Upper Austria: automotive Mairhuber, 4664 Oberweis, August Mairhuber-Str. 1, Phone 07612/62662-0
Thank you Duncan,
there are also more dealers for the Opel Ampera. But they do not want, to support self imported cars.
Specially at warranty issues. GM controls the market and they will not support you - I got this in an email from them.

·
Registered
803 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, the German Big 3 also won't support "grey market" imports here in the USA.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it makes you feel any better, the German Big 3 also won't support "grey market" imports here in the USA.
And they all want to be considered worldwide and global - it is a shame.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts