GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can’t seem to find exactly the answer I’ve been searching for. If I’ve missed it, please point me there.

I’ve read the experiences of others using a small 12V Li-Ion battery booster pack, and that it seems to work best (or only) when attached right at the 12V battery terminals.

My question is: how did you open the hatch to actually get access to the 12V battery when it’s dead?

Is it possible to use the jumper terminals under the hood to provide sufficient power to open the hatch release?

Or is there another strategy?

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
under hood is where you DO jump start BUT
if for some reason you need to manually open the hatch with no power there is a small port to release the latch.

see the above link under Manually Opening Rear Hatch when 12v battery is dead

I still have not tried making the tool - guess I better add to dad's day projects

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
My question is: how did you open the hatch to actually get access to the 12V battery when it’s dead?

Is it possible to use the jumper terminals under the hood to provide sufficient power to open the hatch release?

Or is there another strategy?
The small jump start packs will start the Volt just fine by attaching them under the hood to the proper location as indicated in the manual.

The FAQ page has instructions on how to open the hatch manually if interested.

Or you can open the hatch by attaching the small jump pack under the hood for proper jump starting and go to the rear and press the button normally.(i think)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you speaking from expierence on using the booster under the hood?

There was a thread just recently, which I can’t find, of someone who actually had a 12V battery failure and the car would NOT start by boosting under the hood. They had to boost at the battery terminals to start their Volt.

I’ve been toting the booster around since I bought the Volt, but now I’m concerned that it may not work at the under hood taps as I had planned.

·
Registered
534 Posts
That happened to me. If the battery is very discharged, open the trunk from the FRONT at the firewall, and then disconnect the negative lead of the battery in the BACK .Then try start the car. All the intense but brief Lithium juice will be used to "wake-up" the car computer...otherwise the booster will get very hot trying to recharge the depleted 12 v. battery, not reaching enough voltage the car will NOT start... See thread -AGM-47 against 600 Amp lithium battery- .

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
That was the question asked in 2011

was there a wire going from the front terminals to the battery as well or did front terminals just start the car electronics and the main battery + dc to dc electronics charged the 12 volt battery after the car was running.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
That was the question asked in 2011

was there a wire going from the front terminals to the battery as well or did front terminals just start the car electronics and the main battery + dc to dc electronics charged the 12 volt battery after the car was running.
The jump start points located under the hood of the Volt connect to the same 12V circuit as the 12V AGM battery, the Volt Owner's Manual states the front jump start terminals can be used when jump starting your Volt. If you are attempting to jump start another vehicle the Volt Owner's Manual states you should connect the jumper cables directly to the 12V AGM battery, not use the front terminals. The reasons, not provided in the manual, could include that the wire gauge and additional distance from the 12V battery would make it more difficult to jump start the other vehicle. You should connect the jumper cables directly to the 12V battery to maximize starting power available to the second vehicle. Also, the Volt's 12V electrical system draws much less power than a conventional starter motor when cranking, the front terminals are easier to access (especially if you can't readily open the Volt's hatch.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts