GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Tuesday, as my battery drained to 0 miles the engine started as it normally does and after using .3 gallons I received a message stating that the engine had "limited availability". Since I had not seen this before and since after driving the car for 6200 miles I knew that I needed "full availability", I knew this was not welcomed news. After another mile I received a new message "engine not available". As I turned off the highway exit and came to a light I could feel a loss of power. After the light changed the Volt died. Strange screens began to appear and the car could not be powered down.

The On-Star support was excellent and I have not received so many phone calls since I owed someone money.

The car is at the dealer and I am waiting to hear a recital of the parts list. I hope no one else has a similar experience.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Sorry you had an issue. Please try to get the detailed DTC codes so that experts here can chime in....

Stilgar

3,608 Posts
Sorry to hear about this cjohn1, that is very unfortunate. I have went ahead and looked, we did receive a notification from OnStar and one of our advisors will be in contact with both you and dealer until this is resolved.

·
Registered
450 Posts
The devil is in the details.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with your Volt#126. I’ve yet to drive my Volt#671 over 60 miles on one trip. When I drive on the highway I always drive in Mountain mode to maintain battery charge for city street driving.
It would be very interesting to read about some of your details that led to your Volts issue.
What time of day was it? Night or Day? Rain or Shine?
What was the temperature?
Were you driving with widows rolled down?
Did you have air conditioner on?
What climate control mode were you in? Eco, Comfort, Fan Only.
What driving mode were you in? Normal, Sport, Mountain.
Were you driving in D or L?
Did you start your trip with a full charge and full tank of premium gas?
When was the last time you bought gas? What brand? (Exxon, Valero, Shell….) Was it premium?
How many total miles does you Volt have?

Volt#671
NPNS!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with your Volt#126. I’ve yet to drive my Volt#671 over 60 miles on one trip. When I drive on the highway I always drive in Mountain mode to maintain battery charge for city street driving.
It would be very interesting to read about some of your details that led to your Volts issue.

Volt#671
NPNS!
It would be interesting to hear more details, however I would hope that the cause is purely a parts fault/manufacturing fault. Otherwise if the issue was some behavioral or environmental issue it would be a bit more serious from an overall perspective.

(Also, I think that with all the testing GM did, all the conceviable combinations in the list above have already been tested)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry to hear about this. Definitely keep us updated.
I heard from the service writer today (Thrusday). I do not have the DTC codes yet, but the issue reportedly is with two transmission parts. The "valve body" is to be replaced along with the "pressure cylinoid".

·
Administrator
20,888 Posts
Transmission? I think I'm missing the whole thing! :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What time of day was it? Night or Day? Rain or Shine?
What was the temperature?
Were you driving with widows rolled down?
Did you have air conditioner on?
What climate control mode were you in? Eco, Comfort, Fan Only.
What driving mode were you in? Normal, Sport, Mountain.
Were you driving in D or L?
Did you start your trip with a full charge and full tank of premium gas?
When was the last time you bought gas? What brand? (Exxon, Valero, Shell….) Was it premium?
How many total miles does you Volt have?

Volt#671
NPNS!
Here are the details - How much is relevant is hard to say, but that is part of the process.

1. time of the day was early evening (no headlights yet)
2. temperature was high 70's
3. windows rolled up
4. Fan only for climate control
5. Normal drive mode
6. Driving in D (55 mph)
7. Began with full charge and 1.5 gallons of premium gas (never have more than 2.5 gallons in the tank)
8. Last gas was Shell 93
9. Total miles was 6200+

·
Registered
435 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problem, Cjohn1. Where did you take the Volt? Back to your dealer? I found the guys at Jerry's to be great to work with. Keep us posted on your progress,

Volt 63

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry to hear of your problem, Cjohn1. Where did you take the Volt? Back to your dealer? I found the guys at Jerry's to be great to work with. Keep us posted on your progress,

Volt 63
Hi Barry,

The Volt was towed to the Chevrolet dealer where I bought the car (Ourisman-Rockmount in Rockville, MD). I was not aware that Jerry's worked on the Volt. Thanks.

Craig

·
Registered
255 Posts
"The "valve body" is to be replaced along with the "pressure cylinoid"."

"Solenoid" It's an electromagnetic actuator.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm surprised this transmission has a valve body. Honestly, I would have expected the whole thing is controlled by solenoids...

Nate

·
Registered
268 Posts
Give us an update on the condition of #126. Did the dealer or Chevy give you any idea of what to look for in the future?

#2499 (only 1500 miles to date, 97 MPG)

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
I'm surprised this transmission has a valve body. Honestly, I would have expected the whole thing is controlled by solenoids...

Nate
Even though transmissions now have solenoids, these valve bodies act as a simple logic system for gating the modes of the transmission, and can also serve an analog function for feathering in performance.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Give us an update on the condition of #126. Did the dealer or Chevy give you any idea of what to look for in the future?

#2499 (only 1500 miles to date, 97 MPG)
Results of repair of #126 - The car was finished yesterday (6-23; 9 days) and the paperwork stated the following issue;
"DTC po757 shift solenoid valve stuck on. Advised by TAC (apparent GM support personnel) to replace valve body and
trans control module assembly. Replaced valve body and TCM, program code 18166. Test drove, no codes returned."

I spoke to the mechanic and he stated that this issue was discussed in his Volt training session. The origin is reportedly due
to debri that enters the solenoid valve during assembly.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Results of repair of #126 - The car was finished yesterday (6-23; 9 days) and the paperwork stated the following issue;
"DTC po757 shift solenoid valve stuck on. Advised by TAC (apparent GM support personnel) to replace valve body and
trans control module assembly. Replaced valve body and TCM, program code 18166. Test drove, no codes returned."

I spoke to the mechanic and he stated that this issue was discussed in his Volt training session. The origin is reportedly due
to debri that enters the solenoid valve during assembly.
That's a little scary. Glad you weren't far when this happened! I am surprised that you had the Volt this long and this just happened now when debri entered during assembly.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's a little scary. Glad you weren't far when this happened! I am surprised that you had the Volt this long and this just happened now when debri entered during assembly.
I probably made it over 6K miles before the problem appeared since the engine is used very little. In 6 months I probably have less than 400 miles with the engine engaged.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts