GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Having some trouble with the new 120V charger. Solid green light on left, flashing red on right.

I took it to the dealer, who told me:
  1. charger works fine for them
  2. the charger must NOT be plugged into a GFI outlet

The 2012 Volt owner's manual says the opposite. My electrician tells me the electrical code requires all outlets in garages to be GFI protected. Further, he WON'T install a non-GFI outlet and that the dealer must be confused.

What gives? The old charger never gave me this problem. Further, I plug in at home, but also in other garages. Even if I rewire the house, I can't very well rewire the garages of others to NOT match code.

I don't know how to escalate this problem to a product manager at GM. The service manager at the dealer says I can talk to the owner when he returns from vacation.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
The only time the owner's manual recommends a GFCI is when utilizing an extension cord.

Since you don't want to use a non-GFCI receptacle in your garage I suggest you replace it with a high-quality (not $10) industrial or hospital grade unit.

HTH
WOT

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The other escape route might be that the electrical code may say something like "all electrical outlets at or below 8 feet above the floor need to be GFCI". So if the outlet is in the ceiling of most garages it will be approx. 8' 4" from the floor. I did this in my last house so that I could plug in a power saw without having it go through a GFCI. My electrician at the time was fine with it.

My current house has a GFCI circuit breaker in the electrical panel that covers all of the outlets in my garage and I've never had any trouble. Obviously the the panel breaker is higher quality than the cheaper GFCI outlets found at most big box stores.

VIN # B0985

·
Administrator
21,524 Posts
I used a brand new, quality GFI outlet on a dedicated circuit for 6 months without issue before switching to the 240v Voltec.

It seems like an issue with the 120v charging tends to be what you plug into rather than the charge cord unit. Low quality outlets, old and worn outlets, badly wired outlets, voltage drops or grounding issues, and shared circuits have all caused 120v charging issues. Occasionally it is a defective charge cord.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Had electric work done today - 90% of it was due to moving a 50 amp 220V setup for my in-laws RV. But we dropped a 120V plug off of the small breaker box in the garage and used two non-GFI plugs, including one setup outside. I'm not 100% sure that is "to code" but since this circuit is only used for Volt charging, and is covered by an outdoor weather-resistant box, we should be ok. Tons of work done on a hot day and all for what I think was a reasonable price for two guys's time and lots of parts. Same guys will be helping me eventually with the Solar PV array setup.

The old RV line was put in a few years ago and apparently they did it with 6-ga Aluminum. It eventually failed on one of the hot wires (two hot, one neutral, one ground) so it was only doing 120V. They dropped 120V off the good wire for a future 120V plug for the Volt when it is outside and the other plug is inside off the new 6-ga copper (125' roll of that stuff is quite heavy!)

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
The issue for the OP is the wiring or faulty GFI, he does not need a non GFI circuit as it NEC code that any damp location, which includes the garage must be protected by GFI. The dealer unfortunately isn't providing correct information.

For the OP, Have your electrician pull all the outlet out on that circuit and inspect the wiring, if there is back-stabed connections, replace the outlet and verify that neutral and ground s correct from the Volts outlet back to the main panel

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
There are two types of things often called, GFI outlets. One is for protecting people and required in kitches/bathrooms and has a very very low threshold and the other (often called a ground-fault equipment protection, or a garage GFI.. or various terms), has a much higher tolerance before flipping).

However it may also be that the line itself has problems. many houses have used "push-in" type sockets which produce poor quality connections. Pop the circut breaker and then pull out the outlet and see if the wires are screwed down or just pushed in.

See this thread
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?11818-120V-charger-tripping-GFCI-outlet

·
Registered
100 Posts
I use a GFI outlet in our garage. In the past 6 months of Volt ownership, I had no problems or issues with the original 120V charging unit with that GFI outlet. I exchanged the original charging unit with the new replacement 120V unit approximately one week ago when my dealer notified me of its arrival from GM.

My dealership informed me that the exchanges were being performed by GM because of a relatively high failure rate of the original 120V units.

Interestingly I have observed an inprovement in my full charged range since using the new unit. Previously I would see a maximum of 40 or 41 miles of expected range and a similar or slightly greater actual driving range, now daily my listed expected range is typically 44 or 45 miles of range and I have finally exceed 50 miles of actual driving range. It goes without saying that I am well pleased with the new 120V charging unit as well as my 6 month Volt experience.

2012 Red Volt #4879.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts