GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on a mini-vacation (yay!) and am staying at an older house that is not mine. The only place I feel somewhat ok about plugging in is into a GFI outlet that seems to be dedicated and only has a dryer plugged in. It's one of the types that has the circuit trip on it.

I have a 220 line set up at my house and any destination charging I've done has been on 220. Since it's not my house I don't want to mess anything up.

If they are running a dryer off that line, should it be ok to plug in my car? Obviously I won't run both at the same time.

Thanks,
Rick

·
Administrator
20,022 Posts
I would plugin, yes (after unplugging the dryer). I carry a 3 prong circuit tester in the car with me as well. A 120V dryer? My clothes dryer is 240V, didn't know 120V were even made.

120V circuit tester.jpg

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
If it can run a dryer, I would have no hesitation to plug in the car. Dryers can pull quite a bit more current than the Volt can.

·
Registered
568 Posts
120V dryer? if it's drying normal size loads of clothes, I bet it takes 2 or 3 hours to dry since the max sustained load on most home circuits is around 1800 watts on 15A circuit

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually I was wrong. It's the washing machine that is plugged into the regular GFI outlet. The dryer is plugged into a big fat outlet.

Best,
Rick

·
Administrator
20,022 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
120V dryer? if it's drying normal size loads of clothes, I bet it takes 2 or 3 hours to dry since the max sustained load on most home circuits is around 1800 watts on 15A circuit
Gas dryers use 120, because it's only using electricity to spin the drum (not that it's the case here, since OP was confusing the washer and dryer outlets).

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have made 2 different patch cords for the common 30 amp dryer outlets. The old style has 3 pins in a triangular type of shape (and has neutral instead of ground). A lot of houses made before the early 90's still have this 3 pin type. I can guest charge much more quickly this way.

I already had one of the appliance cords from way back, otherwise having both is a bit cost prohibitive considering their infrequent usage.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Actually I was wrong. It's the washing machine that is plugged into the regular GFI outlet. The dryer is plugged into a big fat outlet.
If it was wired from 1996 onwards the 'big fat outlet' should be a (4-wire) NEMA 14-30. It sounds like the house is older than that, so probably a (three wire) 10-30. Since you have a 2016, your factory charge cord only requires a simple plug adapter to work with it.

As mentioned upthread, gas dryers only need a 120v connection. For folks with their laundry facilities in/near their garage, this leaves a nice 240v receptacle available for EV charging.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
You should have no problem using that outlet as long as you don't run the washer at the same time. Might be wise to unplug either one when using the other. Maybe stick to the lower charge rate since the wiring is unfamiliar to you.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
You should have no problem using that outlet as long as you don't run the washer at the same time. Might be wise to unplug either one when using the other. Maybe stick to the lower charge rate since the wiring is unfamiliar to you.
Sage advice.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
<snip> Maybe stick to the lower charge rate since the wiring is unfamiliar to you.
If you are unsure of the wiring in your rented vacation home, definitely charge at 8 amps and suffer the 13+ hour time to fully recharge. What a nightmare it would be to have a house fire!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just in case you were wondering, I live in a older apt building with 60 amp service. So I have a 120 V dryer. GE makes them. Surprising, it doesn't really take that much longer to dry clothes with a 120 over a 240. I do have a Electrolux washer which spins the wash almost dry, which makes a difference. I use a 130 minute wash cycle, so the clothes are done drying way before the wash is done.

Cheers,
Tross

1 - 13 of 13 Posts