GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to do a lot of camping. Problem is I still need to continue working online, and so I need to power my laptop that may pull as much as 240 watts at times. Does anybody have any recommendations as to the best way to add a 120v AC port? I think tapping into the high voltage system connected to the drive battery is a bit risky, but I'm worried that tapping into the 12v battery with an inverter would leave it drained by the time I'm done with my 8 hour shift and leave me unable to start my car. The best solution I can think of is to wire a second 12v battery in parallel with the first to get the increased battery capacity, any better ideas?

·
Registered
2013 Opel Ampera
2 Posts
I plan to do a lot of camping. Problem is I still need to continue working online, and so I need to power my laptop that may pull as much as 240 watts at times. Does anybody have any recommendations as to the best way to add a 120v AC port? I think tapping into the high voltage system connected to the drive battery is a bit risky, but I'm worried that tapping into the 12v battery with an inverter would leave it drained by the time I'm done with my 8 hour shift and leave me unable to start my car. The best solution I can think of is to wire a second 12v battery in parallel with the first to get the increased battery capacity, any better ideas?
Here are pretty many threads about this if you want to see more details.

Briefly: Hook an inverter (max about 1500W) to that 12V battery in the boot. Keep the car on when using that output so it keeps the 12V battery charged. The car stays on for about 2.5 hours(?) but there is a detour to that; clamp the button on the shift handle down (rubber band or something), but do not shift it from Park.
(gen1 Volt, not sure if this works on gen2 Volt)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Get a small Honda inverter generator instead. It's cheap and very efficient plus you're not taxing your vehicle's expensive and delicate electrical system. You can get 1000 watts of power for nearly 7 hours on 1/2 gallon of fuel and you can use the rest of the power to supply your other camping needs. The unit only weights 28 pounds.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Get a small Honda inverter generator instead. It's cheap and very efficient plus you're not taxing your vehicle's expensive and delicate electrical system. You can get 1000 watts of power for nearly 7 hours on 1/2 gallon of fuel and you can use the rest of the power to supply your other camping needs. The unit only weights 28 pounds.
I wouldn't have space for that in my car if I wanted to. Between my small inflatable bed, food storage, crash pad, climbing gear, etc. It's pretty packed.

·
Registered
813 Posts
How many decibels is that?

How many decibels is a Volt charging its 12V battery from its high voltage battery?

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Almost every laptop manufacturer has a compatible 12v power brick available if you look. Just get one of those instead. It'll even offer more efficient conversion than going to AC and back again will.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts