GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I went back to my favorite test tack (FedEx Field) and tested out the range of my wife's 2016 Volt. Tires up to 55 PSI. I really should have picked another day. I was achieving about 8.15 miles/kWh before temperatures reached the upper 80s. Average speed was 22.8 MPH.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Cool stuff -- but an avg speed of 23mph here in TX would get you killed on the road (either by another car, or someone shooting you for going that slow) lol

One thing having a volt has done to me is make my lead foot go away (mostly). My 2017 is my first ever volt and I learned very quickly that flying down the highway at 75 or 80 just kills range, so I'm slightly more reasonable now :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Great Job, 5 hours of driving, I'll pass :)

79.0 lifetime MPG, the wife must drive quite a bit or was that before you bought it?
How much did that improve during you run?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great Job, 5 hours of driving, I'll pass :)

79.0 lifetime MPG, the wife must drive quite a bit or was that before you bought it?
How much did that improve during you run?
Thanks! You don't know what you are missing :) We've taken it on several long distance trips. I also burned gas getting there to FedEx field and back. I did not want to waste ~6 hours total waiting for it to charge up. I used hold mode to get there. The lifetime MPG went up about 5 MPG for that drive.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
5+ hours, WOW. I would have needed a Stadium Buddy.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Nice, you beat the hypermiler king, who got 112 miles on a range test. You should email him and tell him to hand over the crown. :p

What did the energy usage screen say as far as how much battery % was used for conditioning?

And too bad you don't have a '17....would have been interested to see what your energy usage score was....you likely would have maxed it out.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Great work, Ari! I can imagine the cop sitting next to Fed Ex field watching you for an hour or two, wondering, "What in the world is he doing..."

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hello And Congradulations.

But WHY would the motor have been designed with the efficiency suite spot at about 25MPH? That is a good point for alot of city driving but not the commutor car that most (or alot) people use it for.

Could it have been designed for best effiency at about 45MPH? Similiar to the ICE. Do not know enough about DC motor design. Only so much they can do when dealing with wind friction (Prop to Velocity squared) and bearing RPM's

·
Registered
340 Posts
I don't think it is the motor being designed for that. It is more likely a wind resistance issue. When you drive down the road, one of your losses is wind resistance which is proportional to your Velocity squared. Double your velocity, and quadruple your wind resistance. This energy essentially is wasted accelerating some of the air in front of your car up to your cars speed. Driving slower therefore requires less energy per mile. There are other energy loss issues too but wind resistance is a big one.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I don't think it is the motor being designed for that. It is more likely a wind resistance issue. When you drive down the road, one of your losses is wind resistance which is proportional to your Velocity squared. Double your velocity, and quadruple your wind resistance. This energy essentially is wasted accelerating some of the air in front of your car up to your cars speed. Driving slower therefore requires less energy per mile. There are other energy loss issues too but wind resistance is a big one.
Also accelerating to 25 MPH is 1/4th the energy of accelerating to 50 MPH, it's simple Newtonian mechanics, K = 1/2MV^2.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is a slight hill on the road around FedEx Field. Once I would crest the hill, I would coast in neutral as long as possible, then back to D. Actually without the hill and using N, the drive would be a lot more boring. Takes a lot of concentration to maintain the proper speed the whole time.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Hello And Congradulations.

But WHY would the motor have been designed with the efficiency suite spot at about 25MPH? That is a good point for alot of city driving but not the commutor car that most (or alot) people use it for.

Could it have been designed for best effiency at about 45MPH? Similiar to the ICE. Do not know enough about DC motor design. Only so much they can do when dealing with wind friction (Prop to Velocity squared) and bearing RPM's
The motor is AC Synchronous, not DC. This is the big inverter under the hood, converts DC to AC.

I think a gasoline car would do better at 25 vs 45 mph if it didn't have the idling loss, the reason gas cars peak at 45 or so is that is the best balance between pumping/idling losses and aero drag. The electric motor is more efficient at those low speeds because it doesn't have the pumping loss to worry about.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hello .....Thanks for the clarification..... so the 300VDC is converted to AC and then the frequency and maybe Voltage (?) are adjusted for different conditions of load.

The motor is AC Synchronous, not DC. This is the big inverter under the hood, converts DC to AC.

I think a gasoline car would do better at 25 vs 45 mph if it didn't have the idling loss, the reason gas cars peak at 45 or so is that is the best balance between pumping/idling losses and aero drag. The electric motor is more efficient at those low speeds because it doesn't have the pumping loss to worry about.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I guess this is good information if I want to use the Volt as a golf cart. How much time does ari_c have on his hands?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Very nice, here my screenshot of where we went on the mountain in Oregon with a lot of the downhill, uphill and curves during our vacation.

Here the picture of the archived highest MPG that I made.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts