GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2011 Volt passed the 100,000 mile mark last Saturday while on the road to South Bend Indiana for a tremendous football victory by Northwestern over Notre Dame, but that’s another story. My ownership experience with my Volt has been almost as exhilarating as the victory of my Wildcats over the Irish.

First and foremost, I have been using my Volt as my everyday car with no compromises needed, driving it as I would drive any other vehicle, going where and when I want without any anxiety, range or otherwise. I even drove it 1,069 miles in one day, coming back from the 2013 Northwestern Gator Bowl victory over Mississippi State, in Jacksonville, Florida. It is smooth and quiet, and I’d rather leave the Yukon XL to my wife and her driving, much to her consternation.

Getting (almost) right to reliability, the things gone wrong are as follows:
  • Buzzing under acceleration – AC line clamp mis-installed, causing lines to rub on intake manifold when engine torqued – 2,060 miles (was there from day 1)
  • Driver door weatherstrip worn (by dragging my foot over it?) and replaced – 28,436 miles
  • Stress relief on charge cord cracked – Charge cord was the one replaced in conjunction with the side impact battery protection retrofit campaign – 42,961 miles
  • 44,688 miles - Level 2 charger (installed in my garage, not part of the vehicle) wouldn’t always start charging when set for delayed charge. After the dealer reprogrammed the HPCM2 and the BECM on the vehicle, tech assistance decided it was really the Voltec Level 2 charger, which was replaced under its warranty. Problem has not recurred.
  • Two different tire leaks repaired at about 20,000 miles and 55,000 miles. Each time, the tire pressure monitor caught a slow leak after parked; using the inflator without the sealant got me to the tire shop for repair – drove 20 miles each way to go cross country skiing before getting the tire fixed the second time.
  • Replaced floor mats because of hole worn by my right heel through driver mat. 62,976 miles; cost me about $100
  • Radio would cut out intermittently after about 2 hours of driving. Radio amplifier replaced no charge to me under GM Protection Plan extended warranty at 63,830 miles.
  • LF turn signal bulb burned out at 78,076 miles. Cost me $66.14 (bulbs not covered under extended warranty). Front facia cover over bumper needed to be removed to replace the bulb, so since it was -15 degrees F that day, I (somewhat) gladly paid the dealer to replace it.
  • 87,900 miles – Goodyear Assurance tire (original set replaced at 62,976 miles, still not down to wear indicators) sidewall damaged by raised concrete slab on interstate near Akron Ohio. TPM caught low pressure before completely flat. Towed off the Ohio Turnpike (sealer not designed for sidewall damage), at cost of $170.65 (limited access highway, probably worst case tow cost, still less costly than buying a spare and jack, with no place to stow them). $144.06 for replacement Goodyear Assurance tire replaced by Goodyear dealer, almost in the shadow of Goodyear’s Akron headquarters.
  • 88,168 miles – hole worn through replacement floor mats again by my right heel – no, I don’t wear spike heel shoes or anything unusual. Replaced no charge this time under parts warranty.
  • 95,214 miles – code P1EA4 with reduced engine power. I posted about this one. (http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...xperience-Battery-Electronics-amp-Charge-Cord) Required dealer to remove the high voltage battery to replace one of the 4 Battery Integration Control Modules. Fixed at no charge to me under either GM Protection Plan or 100k battery warranty.
  • 95,214 miles - Charge cord once again replaced, under GM Protection Plan warranty, again for a cracked strain relief. I’m on my 4th charge cord, but the new one has a much more robust strain relief at the J connector that connects to the car.
  • About 97,000 miles – replaced left headlamp bulb. Parts store didn’t have it and I had to go to 2 dealers to find one in stock. I bought a spare to keep in the car, since it can be changed without tools. $61.95 for 2 bulbs.

My total cost of service and maintenance items over the 100k and 42 months has been $1,434.
  • Oil changes, using the oil life monitor, not going below 10% or over 1 year, wiper blades, engine air filter, installed cabin air filter
  • Replacement set of Goodyear Assurance tires at 62,976 miles for $670, including front end alignment and free tire rotation when scheduled. Tires have been rotated approximately every 7,000 miles. Also included in the $1,434 was the tow and replacement of damaged tire listed above.
  • Brakes have not needed service, due to a lot of highway driving and regenerative braking; I never use “L” except when I want to hold 25 MPH on cruise on hilly terrain.

Finally, my cost of gas and electric for the 100k miles: I had 37,014 EV miles and 62,986 gas miles (37% EV with my driving and long trips). With a lifetime average of 54.8 MPG, I calculate I used 1,825 gallons of gas; at an average of $4 per gallon for premium estimated over the period, comes to $7,300. Electricity costs were easy – I have a deal with DTE Energy for a flat $40 (plus $1.60 tax) per month, so it is $1,750. Total energy costs $9,050. [Corrected gas calculations - 54.8 MPG is lifetime average over all miles, so I needed to take that average divided into 100,000. Lifetime average for the 62,986 miles when the engine was running is 34.5] As a frame of reference, if I had put the 100k miles on my Yukon XL with a 6.2 litre V8, which also recommends premium, at 15 MPG it would have cost $26,667 – plus the maintenance costs including tires and brakes are higher for an SUV, although it also has been very reliable.

I did crack a plastic panel under the vehicle that is not visible and there strictly for aerodynamics, and chose not to replace it – I think driving through heavy slushy snow may have damaged it, because I sure don’t remember hitting anything.

In summary, I clearly reflect the reasons why Volt owners have such an industry-leading level of customer satisfaction; even beyond 100,000 miles in my case (I’m now at 100,418).

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
249 Posts
Great testimonial, Bob. I can only hope to have my ownership experience be as uneventful through the end of 2017. I already have the Husky Liners, so no danger of wearing through the floor mats!

Good luck on your next 100,000 miles!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As Toyota can attest, I'm not one for stacking up floor mats. Yes, there are rubber ones, perhaps that even fit the locator pegs, but I can't stand the feel on my feet.

Yes, I'm hoping to get 250,000 miles. I don't see any reason not to - I've had a conversation with a very senior member of the Volt engineering staff (whom I know from when I worked at GM before retirement), and I hope my life will exceed the expected life of the battery (which GM will not publicly claim) based on their rigorous testing.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[...] My one question is... Has your electric range diminished at all?
Yes and no - short term, it is winter and currently 18 degrees F here, so range will go down, especially with the heat on and driving along with traffic on the interstate. Like I said, I drive my Volt as I would with any vehicle.

But come spring and the 70 degree days, the range will go up to where it's always been. Some may know I use the climate control on 73 auto / comfort year round, but I can easily get 40+ EV miles in spring weather, even with the slightly smaller battery capacity in the 2011's.

A bit blurry, but for doubters, here's a picture I just took, showing 27 miles range at 18 F and 100,418 miles.
http://gm-volt.com/forum/album.php?albumid=370&attachmentid=65233

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Great post, I don't think I have ever read such a detailed account of any car through 100K miles! Anyone that asks about the Volts reliability should be sent to this post

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
My total cost of service and maintenance items over the 100k and 42 months has been $1,434.
  • Oil changes, using the oil life monitor, not going below 10% or over 1 year, wiper blades, engine air filter, installed cabin air filter
  • Replacement set of Goodyear Assurance tires at 62,976 miles for $670, including front end alignment and free tire rotation when scheduled. Tires have been rotated approximately every 7,000 miles. Also included in the $1,434 was the tow and replacement of damaged tire listed above.
  • Brakes have not needed service, due to a lot of highway driving and regenerative braking; I never use “L” except when I want to hold 25 MPH on cruise on hilly terrain.

Unless I've missed it, have you performed no ATF change as recommended at 100k!?:confused:

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unless I've missed it, have you performed no ATF change as recommended at 100k!?:confused:
That's right. I will consider it - automatic transmission fluid change. It just turned 100k Saturday and I haven't had much time yet since then. I had been talked by the dealer into an ATF change on my GMC Yukon XL at about 60k miles, then when their driver was taking me home, he, a very knowledgeable retired hourly worker from Hydramatic Division of GM talked me out of it. Transmissions do not have combustion or rapid oxidation like engine oil, and he recounted how many transmissions worked okay until they were flushed and the fluid was changed. I called the dealer that I had changed my mind, not telling them why. The EPA selected me at random and I accepted their offer, paying me to use and emission my Yukon for a high mileage emissions compliance test, and it passed with flying colors the detailed dynomometer test. If there had been anything wrong with the transmission, the EPA would have detected it in their pre-dyno evaluation and the emissions numbers.

That is not to say I am opposed to scheduled maintenance, but will look at it rationally. I do not go for the fuel injector cleaners and other things pushed by dealers. Coolant is a 100k / 5 year thing I believe, but the engine hasn't run 100k miles. I certainly don't change the oil every 3,000 miles like some dealers push all customers to do - with the GM oil life monitor algorithm, which is quite accurate using engine temperature, RPM, load, time, long or short trips, etc, that would be a real waste of money and oil being recycled.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Thanks for the excellent write up. My one question is... Has your electric range diminished at all?

there was a guy "Sparkle" I think, that has reached 60,000 EV miles and still gets 50 miles per charge. That was my biggest fear when buying a Volt and now that has fallen by the wayside.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm not sure how the Volt fares but the Prius "trans fluid" is considered lifetime with no recommended changes yet a large number of use chose to have it changed and analyzed at as little as 30k miles and found it to be pretty contaminated. I did mine at 100k and it looked terrible. I didn't even bother to send it in to be tested. Just something to think about. I can point you to the Prius threads on the subject if you're interested.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
there was a guy "Sparkle" I think, that has reached 60,000 EV miles and still gets 50 miles per charge. That was my biggest fear when buying a Volt and now that has fallen by the wayside.
Sparkie is over 200,000 total miles and 72,000 EV miles and he is not seeing any range loss. I'm at 63,000 EV miles and I was hitting 50 miles per charge on a regular basis until this thing called "Fall" showed up. I have seen absolutely no range loss. If anyone would be able to tell it would be me as I always drive 100% EV. Last time I switched to CS mode was May 2012, over 54,000 miles ago.

·
Registered
266 Posts
That was well written and I really needed to read something like that !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts