GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We own two 2018 Volt LT base models both bought in April 2018, both Volts act similarly in each of the considerations below, and we live near Vancouver, BC, Canada.

1. How do I shut off the seat heat? It keeps coming back on when I start the car, and it’s annoying to turn off as I have to repetitively push the seat heat button until the light goes out.
2. How do I mute that annoying turn signal sound? It seems to be coming from all the speakers and it sounds like the ticking clock from hell.
3. How do stop the turn signals from producing an annoying sound if they are left on for any length of time? I am aware I sometimes leave them on for a period of time, and I do not need to be reminded of it. Again, it seems to be coming from all the speakers, and it sounds like the smoke detector from hell.
4. I charge the Volt as soon as I get home at 4:00 pm-ish and it stays plugged in until I leave at 6:00 am-ish the following morning. As of the last month or so, the charging light continues to be flashing in the morning, even though when I get in the car to go to work in the morning, the dash display shows the battery is fully changed. It is December in Vancouver, BC, Canada, but it’s certainly not been cold lately, nowhere near freezing temperatures for example. Why does it not switch to a steady light well before the next morning, like it used to prior to the last month or so?
5. Which fuse is it exactly that disables that annoying external spacecraft noise, when the car is in forward gear?
6. The rear camera gets foggy / dirty easily, is there some way to alleviate this?
7. Is there some way to enable in-car Wi-Fi when driving or parking, and what do most people use in-car Wi-Fi for? The Volt display shows Wi-Fi availability when I am parked near my home Wi-Fi network, despite the fact that I did not tell my Volt my home network key. How do I tell my Volt my home network key, and what would be the benefit of doing so, since if I am close to my home Wi-Fi network, I could simply use my iPhone? Similarly, if I was near an open Wi-Fi network (Starbucks for example), is there a benefit to enabling Wi-Fi functionality via the Volt, as opposed to simply using my iPhone?
8. I have an iPhone s6+, what’s the simplest / easiest way to enable the nav function without paying for OnStar?
9 I keep getting huge amounts of annoying snail-mail (two Volts worth!) from both Sirius Radio and OnStar. I have no intention of paying for either of them, what’s the easiest / simplest way to get them to stop all the snail-mail? Is there some direct link for both Sirius Radio and OnStar where I can simply and easily unsubscribe from all the snail-mail (and hopefully all the needless emails too!)?
10. I seem to recall I get some features of OnStar for 10 years from the purchase date, but I can’t recall what those features are, nor how to enable / disable them, nor if in-car Wi-Fi is part of this. Anyone know for sure?

Much obliged as always for your expertise, and Merry Christmas (or whatever celebratory salutation you deem apropos),

Battery Boy

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
We own two 2018 Volt LT base models both bought in April 2018, both Volts act similarly in each of the considerations below, and we live near Vancouver, BC, Canada.

1. How do I shut off the seat heat? It keeps coming back on when I start the car, and it’s annoying to turn off as I have to repetitively push the seat heat button until the light goes out.
2. How do I mute that annoying turn signal sound? It seems to be coming from all the speakers and it sounds like the ticking clock from hell.
3. How do stop the turn signals from producing an annoying sound if they are left on for any length of time? I am aware I sometimes leave them on for a period of time, and I do not need to be reminded of it. Again, it seems to be coming from all the speakers, and it sounds like the smoke detector from hell.
4. I charge the Volt as soon as I get home at 4:00 pm-ish and it stays plugged in until I leave at 6:00 am-ish the following morning. As of the last month or so, the charging light continues to be flashing in the morning, even though when I get in the car to go to work in the morning, the dash display shows the battery is fully changed. It is December in Vancouver, BC, Canada, but it’s certainly not been cold lately, nowhere near freezing temperatures for example. Why does it not switch to a steady light well before the next morning, like it used to prior to the last month or so?
5. Which fuse is it exactly that disables that annoying external spacecraft noise, when the car is in forward gear?
6. The rear camera gets foggy / dirty easily, is there some way to alleviate this?
7. Is there some way to enable in-car Wi-Fi when driving or parking, and what do most people use in-car Wi-Fi for? The Volt display shows Wi-Fi availability when I am parked near my home Wi-Fi network, despite the fact that I did not tell my Volt my home network key. How do I tell my Volt my home network key, and what would be the benefit of doing so, since if I am close to my home Wi-Fi network, I could simply use my iPhone? Similarly, if I was near an open Wi-Fi network (Starbucks for example), is there a benefit to enabling Wi-Fi functionality via the Volt, as opposed to simply using my iPhone?
8. I have an iPhone s6+, what’s the simplest / easiest way to enable the nav function without paying for OnStar?
9 I keep getting huge amounts of annoying snail-mail (two Volts worth!) from both Sirius Radio and OnStar. I have no intention of paying for either of them, what’s the easiest / simplest way to get them to stop all the snail-mail? Is there some direct link for both Sirius Radio and OnStar where I can simply and easily unsubscribe from all the snail-mail (and hopefully all the needless emails too!)?
10. I seem to recall I get some features of OnStar for 10 years from the purchase date, but I can’t recall what those features are, nor how to enable / disable them, nor if in-car Wi-Fi is part of this. Anyone know for sure?

Much obliged as always for your expertise, and Merry Christmas (or whatever celebratory salutation you deem apropos),

Battery Boy
1. How do I shut off the seat heat? Settings>Climate and Air Quality>Auto Heated Seats On/Off
2. How do I mute that annoying turn signal sound? No idea
3. How do stop the turn signals from producing an annoying sound if they are left on for any length of time?Why do you want to be one of those drivers who forgets to turn off the turn signal?
4. I charge the Volt as soon as I get home at 4:00 pm-ish and it stays plugged in until I leave at 6:00 am-ish the following morning. As of the last month or so, the charging light continues to be flashing in the morning, even though when I get in the car to go to work in the morning, the dash display shows the battery is fully changed. Check to see if you set a schedule for delayed charging with latest possible time to charge (so charging ends at your planned departure time, you drive off with a warmed battery at no extra energy cost.) Alternatelty, the Volt's battery temperature management system (TMS) will turn on to warm the battery, every hour or so for ~15 minutes. Maybe you caught the TMS doing its thing but when the battery is being heated the Volt is not charging the battery so the dashboard indicator should not be blinking indicating the vehicle is charging.
5. Which fuse is it exactly that disables that annoying external spacecraft noise, when the car is in forward gear? It is in the rear fuse block, under the floor of the hatch storage area. Search the forum for the specific fuse. See this thread for additional information: https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?284306-How-to-disable-the-noise-maker&highlight=pedestrian+alert+fuse Before you remove the fuse consider what will happen if you are in an accident and it comes out that the pedestrian alert was disabled. Lawyers love this stuff.
6. The rear camera gets foggy / dirty easily, is there some way to alleviate this? Clean regularly; some report success with RainX or similar treatment on the lens.
7. Is there some way to enable in-car Wi-Fi when driving or parking, and what do most people use in-car Wi-Fi for? To use the in-car WiFi you must have a paid subscription for an OnStar Data Plan. I use my OnStar unlimited data plan for streaming Amazon music, Apple Maps, Google Maps and Waze navigation, IP based phone calls. Passengers can use the in-car WiFi for accessing social media and streaming videos on their phone or tablet.

8. I have an iPhone s6+, what’s the simplest / easiest way to enable the nav function without paying for OnStar? Plug in your iPhone to one of the USB ports;enable Apple CarPlay; With CarPlay you can use Apple Maps, Waze and Google Maps for navigation. If you don't have an OnStar data plan you will have to use your phone carriers data plan. The iPhone must remain plugged in to use CarPlay; CarPlay supports Navigation, Phone, Text Message (with voice assist), Apple Music, and some other apps, that are displayed on the center console.
9 I keep getting huge amounts of annoying snail-mail (two Volts worth!) from both Sirius Radio and OnStar. Probably not.
10. I seem to recall I get some features of OnStar for 10 years from the purchase date, but I can’t recall what those features are, nor how to enable / disable them, nor if in-car Wi-Fi is part of this. Anyone know for sure? You get monthly diagnostic reports, you can use the remote key fob access start/stop functions via the MyChevrolet App on your phone for 5 years from date of purchase at no additional cost (if you purchased your Volt vehicle prior to May 1, 2018, else, after 30 days, you must pay to use the remote key fob start/stop functions via the MyChevrolet App on your phone) WiFi was never included, you must purchase an OnStar data plan to use the in-car WiFi.

·
Registered
131 Posts
,,, you can use the remote key fob access start/stop functions via the MyChevrolet App on your phone for 5 years from date of purchase at no additional cost (if you purchased your Volt vehicle prior to May 1, 2018, else, after 30 days, you must pay to use the remote key fob start/stop functions via the MyChevrolet App on your phone) WiFi was never included, you must purchase an OnStar data plan to use the in-car WiFi.
Well that sucks. I bought mine in November and I wondered why the remote start stopped working on my key FOB. I hate monthly bills so I probably won't pay the toll (I hate tolls too) but what is it to get the key fob working again?

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Well that sucks. I bought mine in November and I wondered why the remote start stopped working on my key FOB. I hate monthly bills so I probably won't pay the toll (I hate tolls too) but what is it to get the key fob working again?
To initiate the remote start/preconditioning using the key fob:

1) Press the middle button on the key fob to lock the doors
2) Within two seconds of locking the doors, press and hold the third button from the top for 3 seconds. The Volt's parking lights will come as a 10 minute preconditioning cycle begins.
3) If you want to extend the preconditioning cycle for an additional 10 minutes (for a total of 20 minutes) wait 30 seconds after initiating the preconditioning and repeat steps 1 and 2.

You can only precondition the Volt twice for 10 minutes, or initiate a single extended preconditioning cycle for 20 minutes. Then you must manually start the Volt.

Winter tip: Leave the Volt plugged in; you can precondition the cabin while the Volt is still plugged in without draining much of the battery. Before you shut off the Volt set the climate controls with the temperature to 80F or higher, HVAC (will be using Electric Heat) select Max, Set cabin air to Recirculate. Set Fan to Auto or Defrost (if you park outside and there may be ice on the windshield.) The Volt will remember the last climate control settings when you start the preconditioning cycle. If you turn on Vehicle Settings>Auto Heated Seats> set to On, then the seats will warm during preconditioning. On the 2018/2019 Volt the heated steering wheel can also be set to come on during preconditioning. Under Vehicle Settings, set Auto Fan Speed to High.

Important: If you park in an attached garage, or any garage really, be sure to set Engine Assist Heat Plugged In to No. Otherwise, if it is cold enough (colder than 35F by default or colder than 15F (except for the 2019 Volt) if set to Deferred, the gas engine can start during preconditioning. For 2019, when the Engine Assist Heat and by association, the Engine Assist Heat Plugged In settings are set to the deferred setting the gas engine will not start unless it is colder than -14F (Brr.) Note that Engine Assist Heat and Engine Assist Heat Plugged In when running will only warm the passenger cabin, help defrost the windows. The Volt's battery is only warmed by an electric heating element within the battery coolant loop. By leaving the Volt plugged in the battery temperature will never fall below 32F, be maintained between 32F and ~40F, so your Volt will always be ready to be driven.

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier
81 Posts
You didn’t mention if you have a level 1 or level 2 charger.
It does take quite some time to charge level 1 (at the default 8 amps).

On my car (2018) even though the car is drawing power (to keep battery warm I think- battery fully charged) the flashing light does NOT come on. Only when charging.

If you precondition- the flashing will start in again until it tops it back up. Pretty quickly on a level 2, takes a bit on a level 1.

The keyfob itself should keep working. It is the App based controls that may be in question.

So far, the app is still working for me (purchased 7-2018) and I no longer have OnStar. I believe it it will keep working.

If you leave another keyfob in the car, you cannot pre-condition with an external fob.

Mark

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks very kindly for all the great responses (and in particular jcanoe!) and I hope everyone have the merriest of Christmases!

One last question if I may: my iPhone stops playing the audiobook when I open the door. This is rather annoying when I am simply picking up mail from the mail box, as I can't then listen to my audiobook through the open window. Is there some way to have the iPone continue to play the audiobook, even though the door is open?

I may have mentioned this before (yep I did I know) but the Volt has way too many interlocking-convenience-safety "features" that I have to spend too much time disabling-reprogramming-undoing. Sure, this is par for the course with many modern vehicles, but it's not how I want to spend what little time I have left on this planet, and sure I get it RTFM, but it would be much nicer if all the interlocking-convenience-safety "features" were set OEM @ off.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is not correct - jcanoe's information is wrong. Chevy's site confirms that you get 5 years EV Remote Key Fob functionality (https://www.chevrolet.com/electric/volt-plug-in-hybrid) for the 2019's. It's not just the website either. I personally have a 2019 that is over a month old with fully functional Key Fob/Vehicle diagnostics as promised.

Call OnStar and ask for the the "Volt OnStar team" specifically and then ask for "EV Mobile Command" which is supposed to be included in the purchase of the car.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
This is not correct - jcanoe's information is wrong. Chevy's site confirms that you get 5 years EV Remote Key Fob functionality (https://www.chevrolet.com/electric/volt-plug-in-hybrid) for the 2019's. It's not just the website either. I personally have a 2019 that is over a month old with fully functional Key Fob/Vehicle diagnostics as promised.

Call OnStar and ask for the the "Volt OnStar team" specifically and then ask for "EV Mobile Command" which is supposed to be included in the purchase of the car.
Noted. The Chevrolet site states, in a graphic, that Remote Access functions are included for 5 years for the 2019 Volt.

"MyChevrolet® APP† WITH EV REMOTE KEY FOB ADD-ON FOR FIVE YEARS†"

·
Registered
37 Posts
Noted. The Chevrolet site states, in a graphic, that Remote Access functions are included for 5 years for the 2019 Volt.

"MyChevrolet® APP† WITH EV REMOTE KEY FOB ADD-ON FOR FIVE YEARS†"
To be fair, I'm positive that people have had trouble with getting this to work so I don't doubt at all that people who are entitled to this functionality have been denied when asking for it. Chevrolet and OnStar seem to be deliberately unclear/misleading and borderline unethical with making sure people are aware of what they're owed.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Heck, I got a discounted renewal offer email the other day, and even the website isn't working. It's no surprise if the phone reps have trouble too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts