GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Months ago during my first tire rotation I noticed one tire had a different tread pattern than the other 3 despite all of them saying Goodyear assurance. It also had a different date stamped on the side. to revisit see

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?106489-Tire-question&highlight=tire

After 22250 miles, on my 3rd tire rotation that oddball tire has almost no wear on it while the other 3 are worn around the edges. This leads me to conclude that either this tire was made much better than the other 3 or I have an alignment problem that wore the other 3 tires.

The good tire started life on the left front, moved to left rear, then right front, and is now going to the right rear where it has never been before. I'll watch to see if the edges start to wear, but I don't see any linkages or anything in the back where one could do any alignment.

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
627 Posts
When I bought a spare from the tire rack with the exact name and size I noticed there were two different prices. After I received the tire I noticed a physical difference. Tread and even looks wider. I called tire rack and they told me I actually ordered the Prius tire. There are two versions. The Prius tire is a few pounds heavier and has an extra ply I believe. They said GM spec'd their tire different.

When I first looked up the tire on the tire rack site I used the Volt in the application guide and found the correct tire. Then I copied down the name and size and did a search for the tire only (not Volt related) just to see if I was getting a decent price and was surprised to see the (seemingly) exact same tire for a cheaper price, so I ordered the cheaper one which turned out to be different. Screwed myself trying to save $5. Not sure why the tire is listed exactly the same in the description and nothing mentioned. The only difference I could see was the price.

The Prius tire seems tougher and deeper tread

·
Registered
14,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I bought a spare from the tire rack with the exact name and size I noticed there were two different prices. After I received the tire I noticed a physical difference. Tread and even looks wider. I called tire rack and they told me I actually ordered the Prius tire. There are two versions. The Prius tire is a few pounds heavier and has an extra ply I believe. They said GM spec'd their tire different.

When I first looked up the tire on the tire rack site I used the Volt in the application guide and found the correct tire. Then I copied down the name and size and did a search for the tire only (not Volt related) just to see if I was getting a decent price and was surprised to see the (seemingly) exact same tire for a cheaper price, so I ordered the cheaper one which turned out to be different. Screwed myself trying to save $5. Not sure why the tire is listed exactly the same in the description and nothing mentioned. The only difference I could see was the price.

If I indeed have 1 prius tire and 3 volt tires, I'm tempted to get 4 prius tires next time as I'm guessing I might get 100K miles out of this tire vs 30K. The only other difference I can find is on the sidewall the oddball tire say 0513 where the 3 say 0313 in small lettering.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
The GY number that the Volt first used was 738230571. Later Volts used 738340571.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I had to replace a tire due to a nail a year ago and the tire dealer installed the non-Volt OEM version by error and I had them replace it with a Volt OEM version of the tire. Both tires looked the same and both tires had the same Goodyear Fuel Max 215-55R17 94V labeling on the sidewall. The Volt OEM tire is narrower (~7.2" vs ~8.4"), lighter ( 19 lbs vs 23 lbs), and has less tread depth (9/32" vs. 10/32". The OE tire has 1 polyester, 2 steel, and 1 nylon tread belts. The other Fuel Max had 2 polyester, 2 steel, and one polyamide tread belts. Both have two polyester sidewall belts. Both have the same load rating, the same inflation pressure, and the same temperapture / traction / wear ratings.

I didn't want to have tires that are different in tread width by over an inch and with different construction on the same axle. That can't be good for handling and safety (stability control).

·
Registered
3,544 Posts

Did they say which model Prius? I know the 5 used a 215/45R17 and the v used a 215/50R17, but I don't recall a model that used a 215/55R17.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
If I indeed have 1 prius tire and 3 volt tires, I'm tempted to get 4 prius tires next time as I'm guessing I might get 100K miles out of this tire vs 30K.
The trade-off being handling and braking distances. Harder compound tires don't perform as well.

·
Registered
14,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I had to replace a tire due to a nail a year ago and the tire dealer installed the non-Volt OEM version by error and I had them replace it with a Volt OEM version of the tire. Both tires looked the same and both tires had the same Goodyear Fuel Max 215-55R17 94V labeling on the sidewall. The Volt OEM tire is narrower (~7.2" vs ~8.4"), lighter ( 19 lbs vs 23 lbs), and has less tread depth (9/32" vs. 10/32". The OE tire has 1 polyester, 2 steel, and 1 nylon tread belts. The other Fuel Max had 2 polyester, 2 steel, and one polyamide tread belts. Both have two polyester sidewall belts. Both have the same load rating, the same inflation pressure, and the same temperapture / traction / wear ratings.

I didn't want to have tires that are different in tread width by over an inch and with different construction on the same axle. That can't be good for handling and safety (stability control).
I'm confused. How can the tread width be narrower. Isn't that what the 215 number is, the number of mm in tread width?

But you're right on the other aspects of the tires. 3 of them have 1-2-1 and the other had 2-2-1. In terms of belts I'm wondering if it's too late to take the car back to the dealer and complain. I have noticed that when the oddball tire was in the front, one side would ABS sooner than the other.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Did they say which model Prius? I know the 5 used a 215/45R17 and the v used a 215/50R17, but I don't recall a model that used a 215/55R17.
That's a good question, I don't recall what or if the Tire Rack rep said other than Prius. He certainly could have been wrong.
It is more confusing than ever the only difference on the selection is price until you drill down.

I always thought Brand and size was all you need. Apparently not. Now there are 3 of the same listed size and brand and all are different

These specs are listed in the order of $113, $111, $114

·
Registered
14,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm confused. How can the tread width be narrower. Isn't that what the 215 number is, the number of mm in tread width?

But you're right on the other aspects of the tires. 3 of them have 1-2-1 and the other had 2-2-1. In terms of belts I'm wondering if it's too late to take the car back to the dealer and complain. I have noticed that when the oddball tire was in the front, one side would ABS sooner than the other.
So I took a set of quick grips to measure the tread width, and indeed, one tire is different than the other 3. I'm headed to the dealership next chance I get to figure out what they might be willing to do about this

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
3-digit number: The "nominal section width" of the tire in millimeters; the widest point from both outer edges (side wall to side wall). The tire surface that touches the road usually has smaller width.

·
Registered
14,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
3-digit number: The "nominal section width" of the tire in millimeters; the widest point from both outer edges (side wall to side wall). The tire surface that touches the road usually has smaller width.
Earlier in his stream I mentioned I took quick grips to the widest part, and alas, the widths are indeed different. The oddball tire is definitely wider than the other 3. I'm a bit peeved at the dealership, but this forces me to get a full set of tires soon, thus I might just get a tire and wheel package, shop around for an extra polished wheel, and I'll have a really nice nearly unused (despite 22+K miles) spare, then have rims ready for snow and ice tires next winter.

·
Registered
14,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lemons into lemonade. I'm surprised at them for giving you unmatched tires though.
I'm checking with the dealer, but the car was in the lot for at least 6 months (maybe more) and I bought it new with 750 test drive miles on it. I'm guessing someone hit a nail and they installed a new tire not knowing there were so many variants of the same tire. If I had all 4 same tires, they'd all be worn about the same as the 3 worn ones and I'd still be in the market for a new set of tires. I am a bit concerned that having one tire with a different diameter than the other 3 might not be a good idea. It's probably a bigger deal if it were in the front than the rear. I know with Subaru's, it can adversely affect the asymmetrical AWD. Anyone know if having a larger tire on one side of the front wheel drive might cause issues down the road?

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
It's probably a bigger deal if it were in the front than the rear.
From the manual (be sure to point this out to the dealer):

Different Size Tires and Wheels

If wheels or tires are installed that are a different size than the original equipment wheels and tires, vehicle performance, including its braking, ride and handling characteristics, stability, and resistance to rollover may be affected. If the vehicle has electronic systems such as antilock brakes, rollover airbags, traction control, electronic stability control, or All-Wheel Drive, the performance of these systems can also be affected.

Warning

If different sized wheels are used, there may not be an acceptable level of performance and safety if tires not recommended for those
wheels are selected. This increases the chance of a crash and serious injury. Only use GM specific wheel and tire systems developed for the vehicle, and have them properly installed by a GM certified technician.
Buying New Tires

GM has developed and matched specific tires for the vehicle. The original equipment tires installed were designed to meet General
Motors Tire Performance Criteria Specification (TPC Spec) system rating. When replacement tires are needed, GM strongly recommends
buying tires with the same TPC Spec rating. GM's exclusive TPC Spec system considers over a dozen critical specifications that impact
the overall performance of the vehicle, including brake system performance, ride and handling, traction control, and tire pressure monitoring performance. GM's TP Spec number is molded onto the tire's sidewall near the tire size. If the tires have an all-season tread
design, the TPC spec number will be followed by MS, for mud and snow. See Tire Sidewall Labeling on page 10-42.

GM recommends replacing worn tires in complete sets of four. Uniform tread depth on all tires will help to maintain the performance of the vehicle. Braking and handling performance may be adversely affected if all the tires are not replaced at the same time. If proper rotation and maintenance have been done, all four tires should wear out at about the same time. See Tire Rotation on page 10-53.
However, if it is necessary to replace only one axle set of worn tires, place the new tires on the rear axle.

·
Registered
14,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Following up on a really old post. At almost 39k miles I finally have a slow leak and the 3 non-oddball tires are really worn. So of the 3 goodyear LRR tires, it looks like there is a 19 pound, 22 pound, and 23 pound tire. I'm also contemplating a 27 pound Yokohama as the tread life seems to be much higher and the user ratings for everything seem to be better across the board. Seeking any advice on which to go with, or whether to abandon all and go with something else.

I'm also looking for wheel recommendations.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I can't comment on the merits of the different versions. However, if you want to ensure the replacements are OEM you can also purchase the tires on-line at Goodyear.com. They will ship the tires to a list of installers in your area. The OEMs are product code 738340571. Unlike Tirerack they only list the one version when inputting the model.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Following up on a really old post. At almost 39k miles I finally have a slow leak and the 3 non-oddball tires are really worn. So of the 3 goodyear LRR tires, it looks like there is a 19 pound, 22 pound, and 23 pound tire. I'm also contemplating a 27 pound Yokohama as the tread life seems to be much higher and the user ratings for everything seem to be better across the board. Seeking any advice on which to go with, or whether to abandon all and go with something else.

I'm also looking for wheel recommendations.
Driving dynamics can be adversely affected by increasing the unsprung weight (wheels, tires, etc.). Lighter is always better.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts