GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been posted by another member, but I wanted to share a few pics of my Volt with the bumpers and running boards coated with Pasti-Dip.

Pretty cool stuff. Easy to use product. If you really mess up, or if it wears off down the road you can simply peel it off, or redo it. Lots of sample videos on You Tube if you want to check it out. My if attempt is far from perfect, but you have to get close to notice.

Great for protecting the bottom of the car from the road salt and flying debris. My son-in-law teaches high school shop, which means he has access to a lift. I'm tempted to ask him if he'll let me take my car there so I can spray coat some of the underside of my car. No idea if it's worth it or not at this point.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

·
Registered
143 Posts
I mean no offense but did you paint it the same color? It looks exactly the same to me but with a different texture.

Is it possible to paint match with this stuff? pretty cool

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ha, yes same color. They weren't as dark before. For now, it looks like new. Let's see what it looks like in a few months.

Not for sure on the color matching from Plasti-Dip. I checked out their web site, I didn't see anything for color matching.

Edit: I added 2 more pics. Before and after cleaning my running boards with a Magic Eraser.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Putting on the underbody is not a good idea if your car has to deal with salty conditions. You are not applying a very robust product and stones and road debris may be enough to poke holes and allow salt and moisture to sit between the plasti-dip and your underbody. Sure it peels off, but how often are you going to check the underbody? This used to be a big problem with old fashioned undercoating products which would harden but also trapped moisture where compromised. Lower body panels? Go crazy...but once rust starts it is a chemical process which can't be stopped.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I just did my Volt as well. GM's cheap plastic look was aging fast on my '13.
I used the black and then a coat of 'glossifier' over it. Looks awesome.
From front to rear as well as the grill and doors.

·
Registered
502 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was thinking of other uses like promo signs on the car doors etc. Maybe even paint the entire car for a Fourth of July parade, or other special events.

A lot of work, but it would be a fun project that can be peeled off when you're done.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ha, yes same color. They weren't as dark before. For now, it looks like new. Let's see what it looks like in a few months.

Not for sure on the color matching from Plasti-Dip. I checked out their web site, I didn't see anything for color matching.

Edit: I added 2 more pics. Before and after cleaning my running boards with a Magic Eraser.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/?
Looks good. Did you use the plastidip enhancer/glossifier?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts