GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
0 Amps Charge Limit Issue! (See Image)

Yesterday, pulled into garage, wanted to set charge limit and was presented with all zeros as oppose to 8/12amp options, baffled... :confused:

Thought I would check if this happened or is happening to anyone else?

IMG_3812.jpg

Owned 2016 Volt for about a month w/out issue, w exception of smoke and smell of burning oil when range extender kicked in first time and had to call fire dept
:D Since then range extender seems fine.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Yesterday, pulled into garage, wanted to set charge limit and was presented with all zeros as oppose to 8/12amp options, baffled... :confused:

View attachment 99962

Owned 2016 Volt for about a month w/out issue, w exception of smoke and smell of burning oil when range extender kicked in first time and had to call fire dept
Sorry to hear of your charging issue. Haven't experienced that message yet.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Had that happen to me on xmas eve when parking at relatives house I plugged in and received same message I called OnStar they told me battery was dead I laughed and reminded her it was a Volt. They said my charging cable was bad to make appointment with dealer.

I left the car plugged into the same outlet walked away came back in a hour and it was charging and normal again I haven't had any issues since. Battery was dead Ha Ha ha that one still gets me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tried a couple things including Reset to Factory Settings, finally we just left it plugged in for while, after 1hr it was back to normal, hope it's a one time thing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had that happen to me on xmas eve when parking at relatives house I plugged in and received same message I called OnStar they told me battery was dead I laughed and reminded her it was a Volt. They said my charging cable was bad to make appointment with dealer.

I left the car plugged into the same outlet walked away came back in a hour and it was charging and normal again I haven't had any issues since. Battery was dead Ha Ha ha that one still gets me.
I had almost exact same experience... Good to know I'm not only one.

·
Registered
197 Posts

To be honest, her response wasn't as crazy as you seem to think....

There is a 12v battery which runs most of the infotainment systems (among other things) which is separate from the drive-battery. If that 12v battery goes bad, then I could understand some weird issues with the infotainment and other systems that it powers.

EDIT: Take a look at this for some context http://www.teslarati.com/understanding-tesla-12v-battery-service-warning/

·
Registered
6 Posts
The question is: How could you get a message if the 12V battery is down?

You need electricity to power to infotainment screen, right?

·
Registered
197 Posts
The question is: How could you get a message if the 12V battery is down?

You need electricity to power to infotainment screen, right?
You're looking to deep into this dude... :D

A battery can be down/bad and still be providing the right voltage (or voltage within the proper range), but not enough amperage for whatever function. Or it logs that during times it drops below tolerances, and if it happens "x" amount of times during "y" time frame, it throws an error or a code.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts

View attachment 99962

Ha, was there a full moon last night. Ive never heard of this one, but this morning when I started the car (which I do with it still plugged in most cold mornings) I had blank lines on the full charge time screen- only time Ive ever seen that.

and your "smokey smell" signature is too funny, the labels and forming lubricants and machining oils burning off all the ICE and exhaust system components is something I experienced for the first 150 extended range miles or so, which took me 2 months and 5000 miles to achieve...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts