GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Volt Silver Topaz Metallic
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three weeks ago my wife was driving her 2014 Volt while going through an intersection at 55 mph (speed limit) when a car turned left in front of her resulting in a t-bone collision that totaled her car as well as the 2019 VW Passat that failed to yield to her in the intersection.

Thankfully, she was wearing her seatbelt and all of the car’s airbags except the passenger front (nobody seated there) deployed including both side curtain and the driver’s knee airbags. She was shaken but walked away from the collision. The other driver went by ambulance to the hospital with only minor injuries.

After a few days and before confirmation from the insurance company that the car would be totaled, we started talking about a replacement car for her. She was convinced that if the Volt could perform that well in a crash, then what she really wanted was another Volt.

After lots of emails and phone calls with insurance, we started shopping around for Volts online and looking across the country at both Gen 1 and Gen 2 versions. We finally got the word that our (CPO purchased 2 years ago) 2014 Volt with only 39,000 miles was totaled. We didn’t get as much as I had hoped from the insurance and we are still waiting for the check, but in the meantime happened to come across an interesting 2013 Volt for sale about 25 miles from our house that we ended up purchasing...

This Silver Topaz Metallic 2013 Volt has all the same options our 2014 had (premium with comfort and safety pkg 1&2) but with the more rare wheels and...get this...
2291 original miles!

Hard to believe but this is literally the car Grandma only drove to church on Sundays. Purchased from a private party, he explained that his grandma bought the car and had a stroke three months later and was unable to drive after that. Grandpa wasn’t too crazy about the car and had a big diesel truck to drive but couldn’t part with grandma’s car that she still loved. It literally got driven to get the Sunday paper and an occasional trip in town. Grandma passed away last fall and her grandson offered to sell the car for them.

My wife is still apprehensive about driving but is thrilled with her “new” car! We took it home this past weekend and I changed out the 12V battery (20 minutes time), and connected it to the VCX Nano I purchased in anticipation of getting the car. Lots of good information here on the forums really piqued my interest in the Volt even more than when we owned our last one.

Brought it into the local Chevy dealer this morning and had a 15 minute one on one discussion with the Volt tech on staff. Getting Mobil One oil change as well as coolant replacement for the engine, drive motor, and battery cooling systems. All safety recalls and GM customer satisfaction updates will be done before I pick it up later this week. 35 days left on the Voltec warranty. From my observations with the VCX Nano before bringing it into the dealer - no DTCs showing in GDS2 software, and 4.04 to 4.05 vdc on each of the 96 cells at full charge.

Hoping for a long life with this one. Glad to be part of the forum and a Volt enthusiast!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Wow, thank goodness your wife is okay! The Volt seems to be a very tough, safe design, so I'm with her on getting another one as a replacement. Sounds like you totally scored on the 2013, too! Congratulations.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Just a note - M.Y. 2014 got a reinforced front end so it could pass the IHS offset collision test.

·
Registered
2013 Volt Silver Topaz Metallic
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just hang a sign on my back that says “Kick me” 😔

Didn't know about that, but I’m still not sure it would have influenced our decision to buy the car. The knowledge of some of the members on the site continues to impress me...don’t know if I can say the same from the Facebook Volt owners members.

$316 owed to the dealer for the three system coolant change and an oil change. Picking up the car tomorrow. Looking forward to putting some miles on it as a car should have.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts