GM Volt Forum banner

Propulsion Power is Reduced DTC P0A7F PIC6203 Customer Satisfaction Campaign #16055

84K views 137 replies 72 participants last post by  Kraven 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
“Propulsion Power is Reduced” DTC P0A7F PIC6203 Customer Satisfaction Campaign #16055

Just got this message on my.chevrolet.com

GM Program #:
N162048200
Date Issued:
Oct 06, 2016
Program Title:

Reduced Propulsion Power

Program Description:

Certain 2016 and 2017 model year Chevrolet Volt vehicles, equipped with an automatic transmission (RPO MKV), may exhibit a condition where the driver notices a “Propulsion Power is Reduced” message in the driver information center. This condition is sometimes accompanied by the diagnostic trouble code P0A7F or a significant decrease in actual electric vehicle range. The driver may also notice the engine running at consistently higher power than normal to propel the vehicle and acceleration is slower than expected.

Repair Description:

Dealers are to reprogram the hybrid powertrain control module 2.

Funny enough I had my 17 at the dealer in order to fix an annoying wind sound past 35mph(which they were unable to fix as it only occurs occasionally ugh) but according to the service guy as the campaign just started that day they were unable to apply it to my car...I guess i'll go to another dealership in a couple of weeks to apply this fix and to see if they can fix the wind noise.

Anyway, has anyone had the above happen to them?

#3 · (Edited)
Just got this message on my.chevrolet.com
Funny enough I had my 17 at the dealer in order to fix an annoying wind sound past 35mph(which they were unable to fix as it only occurs occasionally ugh) but according to the service guy as the campaign just started that day they were unable to apply it to my car...I guess i'll go to another dealership in a couple of weeks to apply this fix and to see if they can fix the wind noise.

Anyway, has anyone had the above happen to them?
There is a new recall 16055 that just came out today, had to program 4 in stock cars already. The wind noise I have not come across yet.
Since May there's been an engineering bulletin PIC6203 on this issue, intermittently affecting SOME Gen2 Volts.
Specifically a “Propulsion Power is Reduced” message possibly combined with the DTC P0A7F

However it appears they have finally identified the root cause was an HPCM2 software issue and have issued an update via a Customer Satisfaction Campaign 16055

It appears notification has been initiated on the MyChevrolet app, as well emails/letters informing affected owners has commenced but since it was only released on Dec 5, they may not have reached out to everyone just yet.
Some dealers may even be proactive and either email or even call owners of affected cars in which they have sold.

If you wish to know if this campaign 16055 applies to your Gen2 Volt you can call your dealer or Volt advisors at (877) 486-5846 with your VIN and they can check it in the Global Warranty system.

WopOnTour

#7 ·
Since May there's been an engineering bulletin PIC6203 on this issue, intermittently affecting SOME Gen2 Volts.
Specifically a “Propulsion Power is Reduced” message possibly combined with the DTC P0A7F

However it appears they have finally identified the root cause was an HPCM2 software issue and have issued an update via a Customer Satisfaction Campaign 16055

It appears letters informing affecting owners of this campaign WILL be sent out but since it was only released on Dec 5, they may not have reached out to everyone just yet. Some dealers may be proactive and email or call owners of cars in which they have sold.

If you wish to know if this campaign 16055 applies to your Gen2 Volt you can call your dealer or Volt advisors at (877) 486-5846 with your VIN and they can check it in the Global Warranty system.

WopOnTour
Thanks for the info. It is actually coming up in the MyChevrolet app. I'll call and make an appointment with my dearlership.

Best,
Rick

#4 ·
I'm trying to decide if I want to have this done tomorrow or not. I haven't gotten to drive my car for over 2 weeks because of the HV battery issue that affected me, and I'm not sure how long the recall will take. I'd really like to have my car back...

#10 ·
So this fix takes care of the dreaded "shift to park" failure? Great!

#13 ·
It's showing in my App, as well. I just emailed my local (CANADIAN) dealer to see if there was any further clarity on the subject.

#15 ·
You don't need to wait for the app. You can call your dealer at any time, give your VIN and they will see if there are any recalls, service campaign, etc.

#17 ·
From the mychevrolet recall page:

GM Program #:
N162048200
Date Issued:
Oct 06, 2016
Program Title:

Reduced Propulsion Power

Program Description:

Certain 2016 and 2017 model year Chevrolet Volt vehicles, equipped with an automatic transmission (RPO MKV), may exhibit a condition where the driver notices a “Propulsion Power is Reduced” message in the driver information center. This condition is sometimes accompanied by the diagnostic trouble code P0A7F or a significant decrease in actual electric vehicle range. The driver may also notice the engine running at consistently higher power than normal to propel the vehicle and acceleration is slower than expected.

Repair Description:

Dealers are to reprogram the hybrid powertrain control module 2.

#18 ·
From the looks of it, seems ALL Gen 2 Volts up to a certain build date are affected by this recall. Someone reported having a Aug '16 build date and NOT having this recall pushed to them. My '17 was built in March and got snagged in this recall.

#20 · (Edited)
2017 Volt safety recall

Just received an email from my dealer that there is a safety recall and to bring my car in
We have received notification from OnStar that there is a General Motors Safety Recall, number 16055 regarding Reduced Propulsion Power on your 2017 Chevrolet Volt.

#23 ·
Called my dealer from work and they confirmed my 2017 has been recalled.

Appreciate the heads up from fellow forum members.

#26 ·
My dealer told me it would take about an hour and I could wait. What are you hearing?

#27 ·
First cars thru will probably take longer while the tech learns what to do.
If you haven't had this problem wait until they get good at it.

#31 ·
Are dealers open on Saturdays for services? I hate going to my dealer (takes like 20 minutes drive each direction) and with my work it's just so much easier to hit them on a Saturday instead of dropping by at like 6:30am and getting a shuttle to work (which would be like 30 minute drive) and then picking the car back up. If it's just one hour I probably can leave work early on a Friday or something to get over by like 3:30pm but otherwise it's going to be a pain.

#35 ·
Just got that software update done today. On the way back from the dealer I was on ICE and not sure it's my imagination or not but thought the the engine felt a little "different". Neither good or bad, just felt a little different.

Anybody else notice this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.