100% Electric full scale airplane!
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 100% Electric full scale airplane!

Default 100% Electric full scale airplane!

Witness the humble beginning of all electric flight.

http://www.livescience.com/technolog...ed-record.html

Electric Airplane Sets Speed Record
    By Robert Roy Britt, Editorial Director
    posted: 25 June 2009 01:22 pm ET

The mainstream media flat missed this one, but we think it's a rather cool breakthrough.

Earlier this month, Italian astronaut Maurizio Cheli electrified the green flying world (okay, it's a small — but dedicated — group) with his record-setting flight of a fully electric airplane.

The electric SkySpark flew for the first time June 8, then on June 10 was airborne for 8 minutes and hit a top speed of 155 mph (250 km/h). That speed is said to be a record speed for a 100-percent electrically powered aircraft, according to SkySpark.

The project is a joint enterprise between engineering company DigiSky and Turin Polytechnic University.

The two-seat Pioneer Alpi 300 is powered by a 75-kW electric motor using brushless technology and lithium polymer batteries, a SkySpark statement explains. Electronic control systems make it possible to modulate RPM and torque, "with dynamics which are far beyond what it is attainable in reciprocating engines." ...

Yes! I love this idea. I’m not sure if this is the same electric airplane as the one I read about last week but the one I saw could fly for about 2 hours on a charge. That's excellent!

They say it's extremely quiet and thus enhances the flying experience. Only costs a few bucks worth of electricity for the whole flight and the maintenance cost is reduced by untold amounts. Only one moving part! Imagine. It's the future, no question in my mind.

There is currently work going on into very advanced (and light) electric motors for flying applications. Think of using these motors with an EEscam-like device. Great!

Yeah, I'm sure it's a while off before commercial jets are powered completely electrically since the energy demands of a big commercial airliner is surreal, but it would definitely make flying cheaper.

To give you an idea, the maximum fuel capacity of a 747 is about 60,000 gallons of jet fuel. Imagine the cost of that fuel at, oh say, $1.50/gallon? There's a lot of cost savings to be had. You could probably fly anywhere in the world for what it now costs to drive across a state or two.

Advertisement

Check this out:

"PRESS RELEASE
    Date Released: Tuesday, February 7, 2006
    Source: SatCon Technology Corporation

SatCon Technology Corporation®, a developer and manufacturer of power electronics and motors for the alternative energy markets, today announced that it has been awarded a Phase I SBIR contract with NASA's John H. Glenn Research Center for development work on a superconducting machine for future hybrid and all-electric aircraft."

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=18963

However, no mention of the beast on their website (they do work on highspeed super electric motors):

http://www.satcon.com/apptech/mm/uhs.php

Perhaps it's a stealth or classified project. Hummmm. UAV?

What about HTS motors (High Temperature Superconduction) motors? You can get the skinny here:

"Summary
    Today’s motors are fundamentally similar to the electric motors designed over a century ago, and the motor manufacturing industry has seen only incremental improvement in product design over the past fifty years. The advent of high temperature superconductivity has created the opportunity for a quantum leap in the technology of large motors. The tremendous cost, size, weight and efficiency benefits of superconducting machines will significantly change the dynamics of the motor manufacturing industry and the motor end user market."

http://www.azom.com/Details.asp?ArticleID=949

How about this open rotor connected to a superconducting motor? They are working on it.

http://www.gizmag.com/ge-nasa-open-r...systems/11962/

Solar power airplane? So much for those redeye flights.

That is, unless we can install magical EESTOR devices.
    the cake is a lie!

Quote Originally Posted by Altazi View Post
    Solar power airplane? So much for those redeye flights.

That is, unless we can install magical EESTOR devices.

Did someone mention solar? Well, even if nobody did, there is a pure solar plane about to be unveiled to the public (or already has been) that flies for 36 hours straight. So, go ahead and reschedule those redeye flights. As a matter of fact, if properly designed a solar airplane will outlast any plane that has to carry it's fuel. If you think about it, the sun is like a refueling tanker that's connected many hours per day. Ironic comment about the redeye flights!

http://www.gizmag.com/solar-impulse-...ircraft/11982/

Solar-powered electric planes would make great recon UAVs
    the cake is a lie!

Quote Originally Posted by Altazi View Post
    Solar-powered electric planes would make great recon UAVs
    That is exactly what planes like Texas referenced above are ultimately designed to do. They actually hope to use them for communications relays, sort of a cheap satellite. Launch it and it stays up for months flying in circles.
    Last edited by DaV8or; 06-29-2009 at 10:58 AM.
    "Beer, the cause of and solution to, all of life's problems." -Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by DaV8or View Post
    That is exactly what planes like Texas referenced above are ultimately designed to do. They actually hope to use them for communications relays, sort of a cheap satellite. Launch it and it stays up for months flying in circles.

Yup. I can also almost guarantee that a good portion of our military will become unmanned. Americans are losing their appetite for death by conflict. With our robotic technology (exploring mars, etc.) I wonder how long we will keep sending humans into battle. Why? We can send in massive tank-like transformers-like weapons that are controlled by our guys sitting comfortably in their home bases.

Has anyone seen the old human-guided missiles used by the Japanese towards the end of the war? That looks crazy today but so will sending manned fighter jets into a highly protected area (like the first day going into Iraq). in the future. Just send in radio controlled death. Talk about completely demoralizing your opponent. The guys getting slaughtered don't even get the satisfaction of knowing they are taking some of their enemy down with them. All they imagine is some pimple-faced fat boy in a military uniform sitting in an air conditioned game room. That sucks!

Urban warfare? Nobody is going to miss that. Send in the robots. If there are mines, so what? Just go in there like terminators. Anyway, our government is working on this and spending billions. War in the future is going to be like a huge game of battle bots. Who ever runs out of stuff first, cries uncle.

Advertisement

12. Default

And cross your fingers that the radio-link can be maintained and or the artificial intelligence is "capable".

I'm trying to imagine an F22 Raptor with thrust vectoring that can pull more g's then a human pilot can survive.

I'm also trying to imagine an F22 Raptor piloted by AI that could actually defeat the human piloted craft.

With a stealth profile, visual feedback is nearly all the AI would have to go on. An opponent with intimate knowledge of the programmed behavior may* turn this into a turkey shoot.

Or they may not?

+ Reply to Thread