Ugly Ugly Ugly
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 11 14 LastLast

Thread: Ugly Ugly Ugly

Default Ugly Ugly Ugly

Why is it that automakers love to design a sharp looking concept vehicle then totally disappoint you once its actually a reality. This car looks NOTHING like what they originally showed us.

What a disappointment GM!!!

I would rather drive the French made air-powered car that gets more that double the milage than the Volt. Plus the air-powered car will be available in several month compared to the Volt not being available until 2011.

Wake up GM!

I have to disagree. I think the production version looks a lot like the concept. It's like one of the animations where they take the soft cuddly think, give it teeth and pump it up like it's on steroids, except in reverse. They took the concept and smoothed out all the lines and corners and made the damn thing aerodynamic. Many of the styling cues are the same, the difference is the smoothness of the lines.

Quote Originally Posted by dirk1965 View Post
    Why is it that automakers love to design a sharp looking concept vehicle then totally disappoint you once its actually a reality. This car looks NOTHING like what they originally showed us.

What a disappointment GM!!!

I would rather drive the French made air-powered car that gets more that double the milage than the Volt. Plus the air-powered car will be available in several month compared to the Volt not being available until 2011.

Wake up GM!
    And this is the best you could say on your first post... why even botter to create an account...

Ask people in India how they like their Air powered cars? They will tell you the Autonomy is short...

Rule #1: If you don't know what you are talking about, just shut up.

Advertisement

Default Franky

To each his own. To me, the original looks totally stupid. Like some kid's weird transformer toy. To you, it's very appealing. Most modern cars are leaning towards a similar design. From Audi and Acura to Mazda to Impala to the new VOLT. The designs work that way. Just as most fish look quite similar. (silence Flounder !!) This BB caters to enthusiasts and forward thinkers. But the car also has to reach the masses. It has to sell or it's GM's last gasp. The new design most certainly has broader appeal. Look at other bizarre looking designs. Scion "B" for example. Even "good" "classic" designs like a Mazda Miata AKA MX-5. They become niche market cars.

Default Squared off hood Indentation?

Can anyone explain why the hood is the way it is - squared off and dented in like that. Is it for aerodynamics? Does it help the wind to bump up a little - over the wipers straight to the front windshield and up? If there is just a little downslope to the entire hood, it still looks like rain or dirt will collect in the upper area -- then there goes your aerodynamcis...

Im sorry guys I know this is my first post but I have to agree its ugly. After seeing the concept car I thought finally an alternative fuel car with some style and what does GM do they sell out and make the same car every one else is making. If I wanted to by a Prius or Insight I would just go by one. I think it was a bad decision to stray so far from the original concept. Unfortunately I will not be buying one of those cars when they hit the market Ill just have to weight and hope that some one comes up with something better Until that time Ill just keep driving my Gigantic diesel powered truck at least I can burn home made bio diesel in it for now . IM sorry I just donít believe I need to give up style to save the planet. If I didnít have kids I would buy a Tesla but I need seating for 4.

Just put the fender flares back on the car! Please!

Also, I swear to god someone will have a cow if the windshield, top, and rear glass are all one piece and it gets cracked.

I hope more people find it too ugly to own. I think it looks quite nice, and I need something to edge my way up the wait list

I'm more concerned about the interior, which I'll spend far more time looking at.

I'm kind of "bleh" on it. Not too bad, not great. The feeback I've seen so far on other forums I hang out in is really bad. These are comments from other users I've read about the production photos:

- " I think, of why GM is tanking: boring, ugly styling. The new Chevy Malibu, for example (which the Volt resembles strongly) gets great reviews in the press but is a sales disaster, and I think this is because of the styling."

- "Yeesh, it looks like an Oldsmobile. "

- "Not nearly as good as my Oldsmobile." (response to above post)

- "Not that there's anything wrong with an Olds;...someone who wants cutting-edge technology does not want their grandfather's design. "

- "There's an old Simpsons episode where Homer design(s) an "everyman" car, (that) bankrupts (his previously uknown half-brother's) company. The Volt looks like it was designed not by Homer, but by Ned Flanders. Maybe GM should call it the Volterino?"

- "I think GM wants to use the volt as a mobile billboard to promote their brand but who wants to drive a billboard?"

The citation for quotes is below. It's a discussion thread on a board where the Volt has been discussed quite a bit over the last year by enthusiasts in the Science-Technology section:

http://snarkish.com/cgi-bin/forums/i...T;f=12;t=10087
    Last edited by ned23; 09-10-2008 at 11:27 AM.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by dirk1965 View Post
    Why is it that automakers love to design a sharp looking concept vehicle then totally disappoint you once its actually a reality. This car looks NOTHING like what they originally showed us...

Well, for one, a lot of design conceps fail to take things like visibility into account and also fail to leave enough room for things like engines and transmissions...

Concepts are "what if?" cars. Manufacturers make "What sells" cars.
    Last edited by ned23; 09-10-2008 at 11:33 AM. Reason: typos, word useage

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 11 14 LastLast